Rio Dulce, Guatemala to Tampa Trip In June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otisguy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Island Spirit
Vessel Make
1976 Hatteras LRC 48'
Otisguy here with "Island Spirit" a 1976 Hatteras LRC 48' (long range cruiser).
We are getting ready to bring her home from Guatemala, some of you might remember my posting of bringing her from Boca Del Toro, Panama to Guatemala.
I spent two months on her last Summer and she has been on the hard for the past 11 months.. Going back on June 14th to start a 5 week trip home along Belize outer islands and up to Mexico and finally crossing over direct to Tampa Bay or Key West...We leave June 14th to Guatemala and hopefully will leave Rio Dulce, Guatemala on or before June 22nd.. We will island hop up thru Belize and into mexico taking approx 10-12 days (taking our time fishing & diving along the way)
I will post pictures and let everyone know along the way how we are proceeding assuming we can get some interenet along the way.
I am looking at getting a used Sat Phone with data package to download weather info for trip planning and posting Pics or just going with a Spot type device. Actually looking at a "In Reach SE" by Delorme that allows texting to loved ones in US that can follow us and I can get texted info about weather along the way....
Just looking to see what others do or any suggestions....
Side Ban is InOperable.. we have VHF but will be out of VHF range.

:thumb: I'll be tuned in!

A couple from Canada took a 3870 Bayliner to the Rio Dulce several years ago & are still there it must be a nice place so enjoy your time there. If you like it as much as they do you may find it hard to leave, if I remember right they were going to spend hurricane season there. I'll be looking forward to reading of your trip & seeing some pics & videos. Good luck

River Cruiser it is a beautiful area and if I could stay longer than a month or two we would keep her down there... But we are still working and prefer to use her up around Florida....The country and people there in Guatemala are extremely nice, we did a fair amount of traveling around the country and really loved it.. My wife & two young kids (6 & 8) plus some another couple had a great time going to Tikal (the biggest ruins in central america) and Flores and Antigua and even climbed a Volcano...
We spent 2 months down there last summer cruising the Rio and Belize Bay Islands..You can count on me returning but for now I want the boat home...We met many Americans and Foreigners there and have made some life long friends..I look forward to my return and the trip or adventure home. I will keep everyone posted..

Back
Top Bottom