Thread: 1974 Gulfstar
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I had a 1973 Gulfstar 36 for 8 years and cruised it extensively, the new owner, John Nall, is on the forum pretty regularly as well. Here is first hand knowledge from someone who isn't trying to sell you a boat.

1. Twins vs. Singles. I think most but not all gulfstars were twins. I don't want to start a VERY beat to death debate, but I think it is a better boat with twins. The 4-236 perkins is a very economical engine and parts aren't too expensive for the most part. No real advantage to a single here other than slightly better access to the outsides of the motors, which is doable on the 36. The stb motor has a door that opens to the aft end through the aft cabin. pretty good access there. The port impeller and starter are a little tough to reach. The stb alternator is tough to change.

The boat is VERY maneuverable with twins. There were many, many times I was glad I had them. None when I wished for a single.

2. At 7.5 to 8 knots you will urn 3.25 gallons per hour. This is the sweet spot, about 1750 to 1850 rpms. Faster than that yu just burn more fuel. The boat MAY do 10 knots, but I doubt it. Not 12 for sure.

On the other hand, Gulfstars are no slower than any other trawler. I used to cruise with a KK39, we were consistently faster than they were. It's an efficient, slippery hull. Rolls though. More than a hard chine boat, but not to the extreme as was quoted to you above. I've never seen a 36 with stabilizers. I can't imagine where you would put them.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote