Head overhaul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilgewater

Vessel Name
Sunset Lady
Vessel Make
1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Just got back from 5 days at the boat. I feel that there are too many through-hull fittings on my boat (9) and want to eliminate some. I started with the head in the stateroom. I'm going with a RV style head using gravity and fresh water flush. Pulled the old electric head without difficulty. Got the hoses off with the help of a heat gun. Pulled the holding tank which is located between the bunks. Found it to be aluminum, and the bottom was rotted out in numerous places.:eek: Sure glad we didn't use it! Spent 6 hours removing the seacock from under the port bunk. Had to work from a little access hatch under the bunk, and through the area of the lower drawer. What a PITA. :banghead: Had to cut the jamb plate away to free the fitting. All brass, vintage 1973 gate valve. Upside to the ordeal is that I got $22.00 for the parts at a recycling place. Don't even want the figure the hourly rate that comes out to.:hide: I'll plug and glass the hole next trip to the boat, when it warms up a bit.

No more gates on my boat. Sometime over the past few years the PO had them all replaced with Apollos. I'm keeping mine for the aft head in place for now. If it turns out we don't like the Natures Head I still have them.

Attachments

• DSCN1650.jpg
    DSCN1650.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 143
I have plans to upgrade my rear head. I will be using a Raritan Marine Elegance a fresh water 12VDC low volume head, I am looking to install a Poly holding tank between 45 to 50 gallons, the holding tank will either be pumped out at the deck or I am installing a Raritan PuraSan Hold-N-Treat system. I have used the same system above for the last 6 years on my Mainship with excellent results and no odors. The forward head will be converted into a utility room where I'll be installing a Splendid washer/ dryer combo vented model. I have a Spectra Water maker that will be installed for supplying all the water needed when I am not at the docks.
Billylll

You're not wasting any time, are you Billy? My buddy just put in 2 Raritan Marine Elegance heads and the Purasan system. He added a 15 gal holding tank, just in case. Great system....quiet and simple for anyone to operate.

I bet you'll be reserving part of that utility room for your Telco switching panels, routers and network gear and backup UPS power! I can't wait to see how you upgrade that boat.

I going through this now myself, such fun! I am having 3 sea-cocks removed and the holes glassed. They are circa 1974 bronze, not sure of the make yet. I intend to rebuild them and hang on to them. They are the tapered kind.

I'm really surprised to keep hearing of boats with gate valves instead of real seacocks.

I thought they had all been changed out back in the 70's. I must have seen at least a hundred of the darn things with their stems eaten away. I'd don't worry about thru-hull connections as long as they have a good flanged seacock.

BillyIII, This is a good place to buy holding tanks.
http://ronco-plastics.com/newRonco/ProductCatalogs/Marine2013-2014.pdf
The tanks have heavy walls and they will put the fittings where ever you want them.
They offer about 500 different sizes and shapes.

I also know a great place to buy Raritan products, but I can't tell you.

Hopcar that's were I bought my new freshwater and holding tanks for my Mainship from RONCO. They have a nice selection, their priced right and after 5 years my Holding tank has no permeated odors. I have heard some of the cheaper holding tanks permeate within a few years, that hasn't been the case with my 36 gallon waste/ holding tank in my Mainship.
Billylll

Just got back from 5 days at the boat. I feel that there are too many through-hull fittings on my boat (9) and want to eliminate some. I started with the head in the stateroom. I'm going with a RV style head using gravity and fresh water flush. Pulled the old electric head without difficulty. Got the hoses off with the help of a heat gun. Pulled the holding tank which is located between the bunks. Found it to be aluminum, and the bottom was rotted out in numerous places.:eek: Sure glad we didn't use it! Spent 6 hours removing the seacock from under the port bunk. Had to work from a little access hatch under the bunk, and through the area of the lower drawer. What a PITA. :banghead: Had to cut the jamb plate away to free the fitting. All brass, vintage 1973 gate valve. Upside to the ordeal is that I got $22.00 for the parts at a recycling place. Don't even want the figure the hourly rate that comes out to.:hide: I'll plug and glass the hole next trip to the boat, when it warms up a bit.

Brass fittings (and valves) should never be used with saltwater. You're luck the boat didn't sink.

You don't need a thru hull for each use, you can use a manifold.

I've read that you shouldn't just plug a hole, you have to grind a large area and taper it for a good bond. I'm not a fiberglass expert by any means but I recommend checking on this. Something about a secondary bond not being very strong.

It would be easier to leave the thru hulls in place and cap them off on the inside.

Good points Ron I'm no fiberglass expert either. But I have heard the same thing about tapering when filling holes below the waterline.
Billylll

I personally think that you're better to leave them in and just cap them off. I know of a boat that had a hole repaired below the WL. She came off of a big wave landed flat on the hole repair, the water pressure punched it back into the boat and she sank right quickly as the owner couldn't get to to the hole fast enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

fill'em in...piece of cake....but taper

Attachments

• Photo438.jpg
    Photo438.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Photo437.jpg
    Photo437.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 116

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom