Sealants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolena

Guru
Vessel Name
Carolena II
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
Excellent article on marine sealants that includes a discussion regarding the use of Butyl Rubber sealant, something that has been discussed here in the past. Full disclosure, I've had great success with butyl for deck fittings and have found the best butyl to come from the source mentioned in the article (tried other sources, like big box stores and RV suppliers, and the article is right - not all butyl is created equal).

How To Pick The Right Sealant - BoatUS Magazine

Yes, great article.
They missed Life-Seal, has anyone else had good luck with this product like I have? It seems to embody all the good aspects of silicone sealant plus superior adhesion. Silicone has great adhesion to glass, as you know, because they are distant cousins, but not so much on everything else. Life-Seal seems to have solved this problem. So if I could only have one type of sealant aboard, it would be Life-Seal. Not paintable though...

I've used life-seal in the past with good results, before I made the switch to butyl. It worked fine, but one drawback for me is that it still contains silicone which will embed in the gelcoat making it difficult to apply future sealants or to ever paint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom