formaldehyde smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Hello everybody, I have a question, the liquid holding tank stuff that's suppose to reduce smell and you put it in your head. Well in a side locker next to the head this stuff I guess was so strong it ate a little whole through the bottle, no more then a couple tablespoons leaked out. The stuff had formaldehyde in it, and now when you walk in the bathroom your eyes start to burn, i cleaned it all up with some 409. But there's a still a slight scent and irritation to the eyes in the air. What should I do, is there a special kind of spray?

Hello everybody, I have a question, the liquid holding tank stuff that's suppose to reduce smell and you put it in your head. Well in a side locker next to the head this stuff I guess was so strong it ate a little whole through the bottle, no more then a couple tablespoons leaked out. The stuff had formaldehyde in it, and now when you walk in the bathroom your eyes start to burn, i cleaned it all up with some 409. But there's a still a slight scent and irritation to the eyes in the air. What should I do, is there a special kind of spray?

Air it out and flush with lots of water.

You should try strong ammonia solution. It will react with available aldehyde and should eliminate aldehyde smell. Then air out as previous.

We use a lot of Clorox spray and paper towels. If there is a lingering odor then Febreeze. We prefer Lavender. :socool:

If as you indicated the formaldehyde is strong enough to make eyes water, then use the ammonia first. It actually reacts chemically with the formaldhyde so should work better than other approaches for the initial removal. Then air out , Febreeze etc. Formaldhyde vapor is actually toxic so I would not breathe it too long!!

If you use Formaldhyde be sure never to have the waste pumped out at any marina with its own septic field.

The chemical kills so much of the bacteria that the marina septic tank no longer works at breaking down solids and all eventually floods the septic field , destroying it.

Only a large municipal system can deal with the chemicals.

A simpler and more GREEN solution is a bit of powder (tea spoon) as used in home septic systems and a couple of sugar cubes.

The waste will all be degraded by the septic stuff ( like Rid EX) and there will be no smell.

Most RV folks saw the end of roadside pump out stations in remote areas due to the huge amount of chemicals in the RV waste.

We use Thetford CampaChem Natural which is formaldahyde free. My wife is very sensitive to chemicals so I made the switch a few years ago. It can be bought at Walmart much cheaper than WM or RV stores.

which is formaldahyde free

Look at the working chemicals and Google to find out how poisonous it is.

FF, the active ingredient appears to be a chemical called Bronopol and it appears to be fairly safe as chemicals go, remember its to put in you holding tank..not your evening toddy. All in all, still much better than formaldehyde.
Heres a link to the MSDS.

http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/pdf/Campa Chem Natural.pdf

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom