Metal Shavings = Rust spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot-Enuff

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Knot Enuff
Vessel Make
Atlantic 47'
Somewhere in the past, the PO must have grinded something metal close to the swim platform. It is spoted with tiny orange rust spots. The platform is of Starboard material and white. Can anyone please recommend a product that will take away the rust for good? Thanks and I enjoy all of the readings on this site and find them very helpful. :banghead:

I'd start with something light and simple first like vinegar. Test a small area first to make sure it doesn't stain it. If I needed a mild abrasive, I'd try Barkeeper's Friend.

Chlorine (Chlorox) worked for me after trying other products.

I've written about it here before, and still am a big fan of SpotlessStainless. It works on stainless fittings to remove rust, but also on fiberglass and starboard. It is citrus based so safe, as well.

It sounds like the shavings where warm/hot so melted stuck to the platform. I would use a steel wire brush with WD 40 or something like that and scrub the area to lousen the ruse particles

Thanks all, I found a distributer for the SpotlessStainless in my area and I think I am going to give it a try.

Know exactly what you are talking about and strongly recommend "Wink" a mild, rust remover for clothing, to be found in any supermarket laundry dept. You will find many uses for it around the boat.
You may have to do it more than once if grinding has imbedded hot particles in your Starboard but it will work and not harm like abrasive products

Starboard in chemically resistant so pretty much any acid will dissolve the metals and not harm the plastic. I use "pickling paste" (available at most welding supply shops) to get rust stains out of gelcoat much the same way.

If it's just stains I've always had good luck with Sno-Bol toilet cleaner. (diluted muriatic acid). Some say just buy the straight acid and dilute yourself. I find its safer having things my wife can readily ID when I ask her to get me something!

Last edited:
Knot,

i had the same problem and used oxalic acid to remove the spots. Worked great and did no damage to the Awlgrip nonskid. Wear gloves and consider a respirator as well.

Rob

+1 for Whink. It is Hydrofloric acid and works great on removing rust stains from gelcoat and stainless steel. Like Brooksie said, you can find it in grocery stores, hardware stores and really good marine stores.

If you can find Erusticator it works even better than Whink. It is also Hydrofloric acid based but is meant for use by commercial laundries and seems to be a little stronger.

Oxalic acid is the base for many commercial rust removers but takes a little longer to work than Whink.

I haven't tried Spotless Stainless so I'm interested to hear how it works for you. It must be pretty safe to handle as they say that they use Priority Mail to ship it. You can't mail anything dangerous, except maybe bees.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom