Birds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
I like birds. We saw these in the Ocean.

Please share your favorite seabird pictures! I'm not a good wildlife photographer yet. Just got a fancy new camera though (Canon 7d) and am determined to get better at it.

While not all of these are seabirds they all hang about near our inside waters here. Except the tropicbird, the one photo here I didn't take.

The raven is my favorite bird (and the smartest), but the tropicbird is a very close second and is certainly the most beautiful bird I've ever seen. I took photos of them when we were filming on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean but none of them are as nice as this shot. Our boat's flag is a reproduction of this photo.

Jean Francois de La Perouse, the person our boat is named after, was the naval commander in what is today Mauritius and he also had connections with what is today Reunion. The tropicbird is the official bird of Reunion. I also saw them a lot while fishing in Hawaii.

The owl is a Snowy Owl, shot taken in BC.
The shaggy black bird is a raven, shot taken up the north end of Vancouver Island.
The eagle shot was taken in the same place.

Attachments

• SB.jpg
    SB.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 114
  • GBH2.jpg
    GBH2.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 106
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 86
  • SO.jpg
    SO.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 94
  • R.jpg
    R.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 97
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 110
  • GBH.jpg
    GBH.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 87
  • TB.jpg
    TB.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 104
Wonderful pictures, thanks! I have just obtained a nice long lens and now will be able to get some good shots. I enjoyed your first post from the other thread you started.

My favorite things to photograph are birds and wildlife. I don't get chance to do it too much, though. Work gets in the way. Water birds are really tough.

Here is a link to my wildlife photography site.

rusty lewis photography

A 7D is a great camera. You will have a lot of fun with it.

I've taken bunches over the years here are a few of my favorites

Attachments

• Heron & baby 2.JPG
    Heron & baby 2.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Heron & baby 3.JPG
    Heron & baby 3.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 109
  • heron with mullet 2.jpg
    heron with mullet 2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 93
  • heron with mullet 3.jpg
    heron with mullet 3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 105
  • heron with mullet 4.jpg
    heron with mullet 4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 114
  • St. Petersburg to Galati Marina Annamaria Is 033 green heron.JPG
    St. Petersburg to Galati Marina Annamaria Is 033 green heron.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 101
...green heron. Sorry, Steve. I just looked and stepped in. Nice shot!

My favorite things to photograph are birds and wildlife. I don't get chance to do it too much, though. Work gets in the way. Water birds are really tough.

Here is a link to my wildlife photography site.

rusty lewis photography

A 7D is a great camera. You will have a lot of fun with it.

Blown away... I can only dream of producing images like those! So far I'm using lightroom to import and edit my photos. Thanks for sharing.

~d

Lightroom is the tool to use. Shoot RAW. Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited:
Rusty-- Outstanding shots, all of them.

A suggestion--- your descriptions of each shot are good but are often almost impossible to read as the text color blends with the photo itself. You might want to think about making your text white or some color that does not fight with the photo.

Rusty-- Outstanding shots, all of them.

A suggestion--- your descriptions of each shot are good but are often almost impossible to read as the text color blends with the photo itself. You might want to think about making your text white or some color that does not fight with the photo.

Yeah .. the text is supposed to be in the white space on the left side of the photos. Depending on the size of the browser window it appears in the wrong place. It's a problems with the template. I was hoping the host would resolve it. Otherwise, I just need to remove all the text.

Last edited:
I think this was intended for me .... Yeah .. the text is supposed to be in the white space on the left side of the photos. Depending on the size of the browser window it appears in the wrong place. It's a problems with the template. I was hoping the host would resolve it. Otherwise, I just need to remove all the text.

I fixed the name reference, sorry about that. Thanks for the explanation of the text placement. I'd keep the text if you can as the captions do a nice job of answering the questions every viewer will have--- what is it, where is it, what's it doing?

Very impressive, shots, regardless of the captions. Have you ever considered doing a calendar with them? I don't know if there's much return on investment in calendars but you've certainly got shots that I think a hell of a lot of people would enjoy having on their wall at home or in an office. I certainly would.

Good job. What kind of camera(s) do you use and what focal lengths?

Very impressive, shots, regardless of the captions. Have you ever considered doing a calendar with them? I don't know if there's much return on investment in calendars but you've certainly got shots that I think a hell of a lot of people would enjoy having on their wall at home or in an office. I certainly would.

Good job. What kind of camera(s) do you use and what focal lengths?

Thanks. I've sold a few prints here and there, but mostly I just do it for fun. I would love to sell more, but I haven't put much effort in to it. Now if I could combine boating and nature photography and quit my day job .... and figure out how to make some money at it, that would be great.

Currently I am using a Canon 1D Mark 4 and a 5D Mark 3. Most of the bird shots are with a 600 f/4 or a wide angle.

Last edited:
I few images I have captured through the years.

1. brown pelican
2. double-crested cormorant
3. cormorant eye
4. green heron
5. Hermann's gull
6. horned grebe (winter)

Attachments

• Brown-Pelican.jpg
    Brown-Pelican.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 100
  • CormorantCatfishPrint.jpg
    CormorantCatfishPrint.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 94
  • CormorantPortrait.jpg
    CormorantPortrait.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 102
  • GreenHeronFrame.jpg
    GreenHeronFrame.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Hermann's-gull.jpg
    Hermann's-gull.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Horned-Grebe.jpg
    Horned-Grebe.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 94
I searched hi and low for my bird shots and they just aren't on this computer. In the back side of Catalina Island at Cat Harbor is where penguins feed every afternoon in the shallow back bay. I have many shots of them diving and hitting the water. There is always a few seagulls looking for a free lunch too.

All of those pictures above are great. I love photography. I'm going to start a sunset and sunrise page. I love those too and have a few great shots.

Rusty and Ray--- You've both done a great job of illustrating what to my wife and I is one of the real pleasures and advantages that boaters have that nobody else does. And that's the opportunity, or privilege really, in my view, of seeing some of the unique forms of life on this planet close-up and personal.

When you see these animals and birds and even jellyfish in their natural environment as opposed to a zoo or aquarium or nature book or YouTube video, I think that-- for someone who cares about this stuff-- it gives us a much better understanding of how everything on this planet is related and connected.

While my wife and I have had and continue to have wonderful opportunities and experiences in the floatplane and the two boats to see and watch the amazing variety of life that calls this whole inside waters environment home, I envy people like Scott and Murray and Northern Spy the even greater opportunities they must have because they live up there year round. And from their posts I get the impression they are as attuned to the life around them as those of us who've participated so far in this thread.

Kind of preachy, I know, but I've been writing a script the last few days for a video I've been asked (well, told) to produce to try to keep pilots the world over from running their planes off the runway when they land. So I'm in a sort of "preachy" mode anyway.

Thanks for putting up your photos and helping remind us, or at least me, of how great it is to be on the water.

I have some shots of DNR agents destroying thousands of Cormorant eggs as the species has been deemed a menace to the Great Lakes ecology....but it appears the thread is headed in another direction...

Merganser in a creek in Ketchikan Ak.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 108 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 108 copy.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 97
I have some shots of DNR agents destroying thousands of Cormorant eggs as the species has been deemed a menace to the Great Lakes ecology....but it appears the thread is headed in another direction...

They eat fish. What's the menace in that?

Hi skid, feel free to start a DNR agent thread and post their pictures. This thread so far is on topic.

These aren't seabirds of course but I recently took these in Essex, UK

Taken with my 7d and 50mm 1.4

~dave

Yep. No photoshop, definitely cormorant with fish in beak, took a while to swallow it. Any menace is to fish.

Attachments

• DSC_1317.jpg
    DSC_1317.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 101
Kind of preachy, I know, but I've been writing a script the last few days for a video I've been asked (well, told) to produce to try to keep pilots the world over from running their planes off the runway when they land. So I'm in a sort of "preachy" mode anyway.......

Marin, an abbreviated version of that, I'd love to read. Any chance of it on the off topic, or would it be consider commercial in confidence type stuff...?

Cormorants discovered a hatchery the CA Fish and Game had back in the early 90's. If I remember right there were 500,000 fingerling white seabass in them and only two cormorants ate that stock down to under 100k in a week. The F&G wanted to kill them but the feds said no.

They are big eaters. Everytime I see one coming to the surface it has a fish in it's mouth.

I believe Cormorants are the birds the Chinese train to catch fish, a ring goes around the birds neck so he can't swallow it but brings it back to the boat, I guess for a "treat"

I believe Cormorants are the birds the Chinese train to catch fish, a ring goes around the birds neck so he can't swallow it but brings it back to the boat, I guess for a "treat"
Marin has great shots of this process.

I'm sure the cormorant on Marin's arm in the above photo is a fisher. Probably just had his treat!

Edit: I just checked on the photo. It's gone! Perhaps I was dreaming.

Last edited:
I got these shots walking the docks this morning at Bluewater Bay Marina - Valparaiso, Florida. Where we are spending 2 days.
The fishing is good, for the birds anyway. The Green Heron caught about 10 minnows as I watched, the Osprey had a good sized Mullett up in the tree.

Attachments

• Green Heron 1 BB (2).jpg
    Green Heron 1 BB (2).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Green Heron 2 BB.jpg
    Green Heron 2 BB.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Green Heron 3 BB.jpg
    Green Heron 3 BB.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Osprey w mullett in tree BB.jpg
    Osprey w mullett in tree BB.jpg