Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #435
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
That's true but what the puke bottle doesn't do is create a vacuum in the engine that keeps the oil from dripping through leaky seals and routes it back to the oil pan.
Walt, I am a bit intrigued by this vacuum air separator type of gadget, and wonder if I could get me one, as it might cure small oil leaks from under my engine. Especially since for simplicity I ditched the old oil impregnated foam air cleaner for one of these pod jobs, so the crankcase/rocker cover vent now does just that...vent rather than re-enter the air intake. It was just too much of a fiddle to try and set that up with the pod cleaner element.

As to this synthetic oil debate...where are you up to in your experiment re that...?

It also appears no-one bothered to read the several,posts I put up ages ago, basically explaining exactly what Marin's Ford Expert in the UK said. Thermostats only set the minimum temp at which time they open. Once open, they don't control the maximum the water might rise to, which is usually a few degrees above the usual, operating temp, so there is if you like, some 'head room'. That being the case, as observed, colder raw water temps can indeed lead to slightly cooler running, (without the thermostat closing), even with a perfectly functioning thermostat, so less friction from a syn oil could also show up in the same way.
Did you other guys copy that...?