Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's an anchorage at N33.55.45.85-ish/W078.03.27.06-ish. Just your side of Southport. We haven't tried it but heard it's a good spot. There's a Swedish vessel in there now.

But then again, the stateportpilot web cam doesnt look tooo nasty.

I think your referring to Dutchman's Creek. I've been in there a few times, it is very, very nice. The submerged dam at the entrance is a bit scary though but the water is usually plenty high.

Daddyo-

You're just passing Shallotte Point-look to the left and I lived about 750 yards up river from the Point. Wave when you pass by, my ex got the waterfront house!

I think your referring to Dutchman's Creek. I've been in there a few times, it is very, very nice. The submerged dam at the entrance is a bit scary though but the water is usually plenty high.

Yep, that's it!

Daddyo-

You're just passing Shallotte Point-look to the left and I lived about 750 yards up river from the Point. Wave when you pass by, my ex got the waterfront house!

What's her number:flowers: I could convert to Mormon or Islam:angel:

Shallotte Inlet

Attachments

• 20130422_123250.jpg
    20130422_123250.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 367
DAddyo-the only conversion needed would be to landlubber and I don't think that would work for you! It did not work for me!

Holden Beach, NC

Attachments

• 20130422_133339.jpg
    20130422_133339.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 20130422_133232.jpg
    20130422_133232.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 20130422_132936.jpg
    20130422_132936.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
PLACE YOUR BETS... PLACE YOUR BETS!!!

-Bess says he will go for it up the Cape Fear and drop the hook in the Carolina Beach bight.
-I think he'll press on to Middle Creek or Sloop Creek, but not get as far as Mile Hammock or push thru the night.

No heat on anything that may be bleeding (read: strained, stretched, bruised or torn) for 24 to 48 hours. Ice only during that time to decrease the bleeding in the damaged tissues. Then ice alt with heat.

Chris

Southport, NC

Attachments

• 20130422_152611.jpg
    20130422_152611.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20130422_152626.jpg
    20130422_152626.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20130422_152814.jpg
    20130422_152814.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 102
Glad to see you made it past the CF. I was watching and two other AIS's disappeared today. :) I think they got picked up by an alien ship.

So...how fast can you go? You were at 9.4 going upriver against what is normally a 4+kt current. Never mind the wind and tide.

She was doing over 9 knts but that was into a pretty good size head sea.

Maybe on the back of a truck:rofl: 8.5-9knts if I want to push a wall of water the size of hurricane Sandy

Wow. I thought for sure you must have had more speed being able to get up the river at 9+.

So how far ya going to go today?

And thanks again for the awesome entertainment! :thumb:

All done. I don't ever run the AICW after dark. Just not safe as things are always changing. I will and do run the Pamlico Sound or the Chesapeake overnight. Besides I've got to enjoy my vino and Netflix at some point.

With a theoretical total of 240hp pushing 60k through the water speed isn't an option. Plus my hull is nearly full displacement. Also I'm too cheap even if I could

So... It looks like the top of Adams Creek tomorrow night or, if you are feeling spunky and a bit lucky, the Oriental Town Dock. However, it's not been open all week and the weather tomorrow being the same as today (big-ass wind), it's unlikely any of the current occupants will vacate.

I might "have" to spend the day tomorrow in Beaufort photographing a new listing. We'll see, either way it's a full day to Beaufort plus a stop for some fuel.

Daddyo,

Yes, thanks for a great descriptive narrative.

What is the lowest fuel price you have run across?
I'll be doing the same trip next week (yikes!) and at some point will need about 500 gal by summer.
Richard

Cheapest marina fuel on the east coast is Top Rack Marina in Norfolk, VA. Next cheapest is the marinas in Swansboro, NC (where I'm headed today). The other even cheaper is a fuel truck but you have to do a bit of coordination for that. I would bet the side wall south of the Great Bridge Lock, VA would be a good spot to have the truck pull up. If Top Rack five miles away can sell it that cheap odds are if you really want to pinch pennies then the truck would be cheaper. Top Rack will give you a free nights stay included with the fuel:dance:

Daddyo,

Yes, thanks for a great descriptive narrative.

What is the lowest fuel price you have run across?
I'll be doing the same trip next week (yikes!) and at some point will need about 500 gal by summer.
Richard

Why "yikes"? It's a great trip. Hopefully you will have much, much more time then I did this time. Enjoy!

My favorite stops:
Chesapeake City
Annapolis *
St Michaels *
Oxford
Solomons
Deltaville
Norfolk
Manteo
Ocracoke *
Beaufort, NC *
Southport
Georgetown
Charleston *
Beaufort, SC *
Hilton Head
Savannah *
St Augustine *
Cocoa
Ft Lauderdale *
The Keys

* must not miss

Last edited:
Hi Mark -

Ok that's it. Now I'm really jealous. I just checked your position near Topsail Beach, eventually to pass Sneads Ferry and onto Swansboro. God, I need some time on my boat. That stretch is pretty boring, but boring can also be relaxing. So I don't mind boring for that.

I think we'll miss your pass through the Neuse, but maybe meet another time. I'm excited on Tuesday to be down changing fuel filters on Friday. Dang.

Anyway safe travels. Whatever happened with you leg? You leave it back in Georgetown ?

Cheers,

Cheapest marina fuel on the east coast is Top Rack Marina in Norfolk, VA. Next cheapest is the marinas in Swansboro, NC (where I'm headed today).

I have always heard that the fuel in Swan Point (Snead's Ferry) was the cheapest in NC. I am sure you checked, but you will be there within the hour. May want to consider it.

Also, the fuel at Morehead City Yacht Basin could be the "freshest" fuel around. They go thru thousands upon thousands of gallons per week. The more you buy, the cheaper it gets, so you might want to call Mike and see what kind of deal he can give you. We are headed there this weekend to fill up for the season (well... and for flash-fried oysters on blue cheese grits at Floyd's).

I have always heard that the fuel in Swan Point (Snead's Ferry) was the cheapest in NC. I am sure you checked, but you will be there within the hour. May want to consider it.

Also, the fuel at Morehead City Yacht Basin could be the "freshest" fuel around. They go thru thousands upon thousands of gallons per week. The more you buy, the cheaper it gets, so you might want to call Mike and see what kind of deal he can give you. We are headed there this weekend to fill up for the season (well... and for flash-fried oysters on blue cheese grits at Floyd's).

Tom, you are just torturing me. We'll party with you guys in about two weeks once I've done the fuel and oil and I get done the longest semester I've ever had. This weekend we'll be down, but with exams approaching, it'll be maintenance only, no trips. :(. Maybe we'll cruise to the pump out station :)

Feel like a caged dog. But watching Daddyo's journey is a nice substitute in the short run...

Headed to Caspers in Swansboro now. $3.31 with tax!:eek::). The fried oysters on blue cheese grits sounds insanely good. As to the leg, I'm thinking about hacking it off with my diving knife. No mo bedda at all:banghead:
Might have to go peg leg to complete the look.

Would you believe North Carolina?? She's aluminum

Attachments

• 20130423_101944.jpg
    20130423_101944.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20130422_185912.jpg
    20130422_185912.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 105
As talked about in that DeFever thread, there goes an Alaskan

Attachments

• 20130423_104231.jpg
    20130423_104231.jpg