Hydraulic system - what's this part?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
I'm doing some maintenance on my steering system while installing an autopilot and I came accross this part and I don't know what it is. It was at the very end of the two lines, just before the piston that moves the rudder. It doesn't look in good shape so I might want to replace it.

image-784648639.jpg

image-218937271.jpg

Uniflow

Attachments

• HYDRAULIC_UNIFLOW_CONTROL_UNIT.pdf
    269.5 KB · Views: 246
I think it's a shuttle valve (lockout valve) necessary if you have two steering stations (AP pump included). Otherwise, with a single station, you don't need it and will "feel" the rudder.

what type of steering system?

That part looks similar to the relief valve on my hynautic system. On my system it is also used for purging air. See the attached Hynautic document.

Attachments

• purge1.pdf
    903.1 KB · Views: 192
I think it's a shuttle valve (lockout valve) necessary if you have two steering stations (AP pump included). Otherwise, with a single station, you don't need it and will "feel" the rudder.
:iagree:

That part looks similar to the relief valve on my hynautic system. On my system it is also used for purging air. See the attached Hynautic document.

I don't see any attached document.

I think the most closest modern replacement could be the Vetus Single non-return valve (G1/2) with by-pass valve HS74B

See also info from Teleflex;

Attachments

• HS74B.jpg
    HS74B.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 982
  • H728e.jpg
    H728e.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 437
  • H728b.jpg
    H728b.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
You will probably find in your installation the device is nothing more than a manifold block used to provide a convenient means to solidly mount and terminate the fixed hard lines and transition to the flexible hoses supplying the steering cylinder.

You will probably find in your installation the device is nothing more than a manifold block used to provide a convenient means to solidly mount and terminate the fixed hard lines and transition to the flexible hoses supplying the steering cylinder.

Don't think so. When there is no Relief Valve or as we say in Europe a Non Return Valve installed you wil have a very uncomfortable helm, because in that case you are always fighting against the momentum of the rudder.

Foto: my Capillano dual-helm steering system has a #50 Uniflow valve which looks similar to the little block in your photos. I did some reading when restoring my system and I found that, whatever it does, the Uniflow valve is (a) nescessary and (b) almost impossible to replace if you break it! They can be carefully dismantled, cleaned and reassembled. Take care when screwing the pipe fittings into it as the valve body is aluminium and it is easy to damage the threads.

Attachments

• Uniflow - 1.jpg
    Uniflow - 1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 574
  • Uniflow - 2.jpg
    Uniflow - 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 545
Easy enough to confirm, how many connections does it have? Does it have blanking plugs to close a spool bore or relief valve adustment shafts? Does it have 4 tube fittings or 5?

I vote with those with those who posted Teleflex Steering system Uniflow valve.

Easy enough to confirm, how many connections does it have? Does it have blanking plugs to close a spool bore or relief valve adustment shafts? Does it have 4 tube fittings or 5?

I managed to clean it today and I can provide a bit more details and answer ypur questions Rick. It has 4 fittings, 2 of them having inscriptions reading V1 and V2, the 2 others C1 and C2. I'm guessing the plugs you are talking about are what is shown on this picture.

image-1401507899.jpg

that in fact is pressure relief valve . it is certainly required on the system that has an unbalanced hydraulic ram . are usually set for nine hundred and fifty pounds also helps and bleeding the system

that in fact is pressure relief valve.

Hmmmm, very skeptical about that. That is an odd looking "plug" on the side but it doesn't look like a relief valve cartridge. Is there only the one or is there another on the other side? Are there adjustment screws on them?

Is there a part number for that device anywhere? The cylinder looks like a Wagner but that block doesn't look like anything Wagner built.

Looks like an old Parker Flow Control . Fitting on narrow end is a button to move a spool valve, that would change the flow of fluid, from one outlet to another. Can't say exactly what it was used for in your application. At least that is my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom