BBB chain versus G4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Another question:

I've been quoted $4.27/ft for 3/8" G4 chain from Sea Gear Marine.

Virtually the same price as BBB.

Is it the same size? Will it work with my windlass?

ideas? I need 300 ft.

Richard

Get out your windlass book and look up the chain size recommendation. G4 links are not the same dimensions as BBB even though both may be called 3/8. Your supplier should be able to provide link dimensions. Do not guess at this or you may end up with the wrong chain.

BTW, 3/8 G4 is way overkill for you boat, won't hurt though unless link size incorrect. Also beware counterfeit G4, that is why one should buy from a known supplier.

If your not sure what size you have now. Check your windlass. The manufacturer may have marked the chain gypsy. If not, cut a 12" piece and take it to a chain retailer and then buy a 12" section and bring it back to double check your windless. As Sunchaser says you don't want to buy the wrong size chain or you will need to replace your chain gypsy. We did at a cost of around $350.

Over kill BB vs G40? The SWL for 3/8" BBB is ~2650 lbs vs ~ 5400 lbs for G40. I'd go with the G40 which actually weighs less that the BBB/foot. Your boat (KK) displaces over 40000 lbs with lots of windage. Why not for the same price? :)

I wouldn't call 3/8" G4 overkill for a 42' Krogen although it somewhat depends on what anchor is at the end of it. A 20 lb Bruce will work fine with 1/4" chain.

A 42' Krogen is a big, heavy boat with lots of windage that will generate quite a load on the rode and anchor in a blow.

David

There is quite a difference in the length of a 3/8" BBB chain link and a 3/8" G4 chain link. The internal length of 3/8" BBB is 1.09" and the G4 is 1.22". BBB has more links per foot than G4 which is why a given length of BBB weighs more than the same length of G4. You should buy which ever your gypsy is designed for.

Almost every chain supplier will sell a foot of chain so you can SEE how well it fits your windlass.

Even if the chain drum is cast with a notation "3/8 BBB " or somesuch , a test fit is the only way to be sure .

Thanks All,

Yes, I will do test check first. Also, if I end up getting chain from Cape May, NJ, I have time some weeks to figure it out.

Also, i do recall seeing a good price for 3/8" BBB at Marine Liquidators in Ft. Pierce.

Richard

Richard: If you go with the 4G, watch what you use for a shackle. An off the shelf, 7/16" shackle, has a SWL of ~3000 lbs. Here's a source for a 7/16" alloy galvanized shackles with an advertised SWL of 5240 lbs: Alloy SPA Shackles

All,

Triple checked Windlass yesterday, went to Ideal site and confrimed that I have a 3/8" BBB wildcat.

So that's what I need.

now, the best place to buy 300 or 400 feet???

All,

Triple checked Windlass yesterday, went to Ideal site and confrimed that I have a 3/8" BBB wildcat.
Same thing happened to me a few years ago.:popcorn:

You will be fine with 3/8" BBB. Breaking point for 3/8" BBB is over 10,000 lb or a 4:1 safety factor over the WLL. You can buy alloy shackles that fit 3/8" BBB and have greater strength than the chain, so as Larry said pick that connector correctly. !st Chain Supply, US made chain, sells the shackles as well as the BBB you want.

All,

So that's what I need.

now, the best place to buy 300 or 400 feet???

Can your bow accomodate 300 to 400 lbs of chain without being bow down and is the chian locker big/high enough to stack? Very few boats and/or conditions require 300 to 400 ft of chain!

Back
Top Bottom