Engine oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi I have just taken delivery of a heritage east 40 which has 2 perking 135 hp engines does anyone know how much oil the engines hold.

Hi I have just taken delivery of a heritage east 40 which has 2 perking 135 hp engines does anyone know how much oil the engines hold.

I'm assuming you mean Perkins? What year is it? I'll have a look in my service manuals for you.

Have you tried searching on google?

I've found that is a good first place to start. Just searched your question an a heap of info and measurements came up.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

My shop manual says: dry engine: 10.8 qts. for the 6.354M or 6.354MGT

Now I will raise a question, on the HT6.354 engine which I think several members have. I find that if I fill mine to the full mark on the dipstick, the oil does not cover the oil cooler core in the oil pan/tank. In order to cover this I need 3 more quarts raising the level 1.5" above the full mark on the dipstick.

The shop manual for this engine calls for 12.6 or 13.8 in one manual depending on "early or late" model. An Operators Manual says 13.8 qts., another Operators Manual says 16.8qts.

My parts manual calls for dipstick #31786429 my dipstick is stamped #31786412 and has max. @ 6" and min.@ 7".

I never thought it was a problem overfilling to cover the cooler core since these horizontal engines use a dry sump lubrication system in which the oil pan is really a tank and the crankshaft can't hit the oil. But now I'm not so sure as my engine seems to have more oil smoke and use oil faster when overfilled like this.

I am putting this question in a seperate thread so as not to steal this thread with a more obscure engine model.

I have a Perkins 6 354.4 U856627Y.U= make in England,Y= 1994 year built.Give those babies good quality oil and stretch their legs now and then.I buy Rotella 15- 40 . 20 litre bucket.Get 2 changes roughly

I just changed mine and it took 9 quarts and it wasn't full to the tippy top of the dipstick, but was in the shaded part. Will put another in next week Your mileage may vary.

Here is the clip from the manual:

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 97
A universal question is always WHEN tio check the oil level.

This sometimes is not mentioned in either Da Book for operators or re-builders .

DD sez 3 min after shut down , for their 71 series.

Others may be stuck with just guessing.

Back
Top Bottom