View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Capn Craig
Guru

The river here (L & D 14 MET) is supposed to crest tomorrow afternoon and stay at that levl for a couple days then start down. My Dad has a river front house about a half mile below LD14. I spent the day yesterday preparing for high water.. I am prepared for 14 ft. At the time yesterday, the predicted crest was 13 ft. Today at 10 they revised the prediction to 12.3. That will put 6 inches of water in the ground level basement. The house is raised and safe. I see the river has started to drop at LD 12 about 75 miles up river. I hope the heavy rain hols off up north. If so, about mid next week it will be pressure washer time in the basement and next weeknd can be spent getting back to normal. This is by no means a record flood, but it will definately be a top 10. My boat is out of the water and safe. My teak refinishing project that I was doing at the river house basement came to a screeching halt thanks to the high water. So It will probably be a few weeks before splash time.

Ron, I was thinking of you. I see on th computer that the river rose 5 feet at Louisiana MO yestrday. Yikes! Current crest prediction is 25.6 for mid day on the 22nd. The river is certainly wilder down your way. I know that well from my up river pilgramage back in june of 2011. In case you haven't found it or anybody else curious about river levels, Rivergages.com: Providing River Gage Data for Rivers, Streams and Tributaries
is the web site to get water level and predictions. If the link brings you to the general page showing a map. Choose level by 'stream' then choose 'Mississippi river' from the drop down boxes. This brings up a list of reporting stations for the entire river. Click on a staion that has a +/- at the begining and you get current conditions. From there you can click on prediction. The prediction usually goes 7 days out. Only stations with the +/- have prediction data.

I'll take a few pictures tommorrow and post.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote