East Coast Navigation Chart recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the risk of dragging this thread out, several references have been made to using old or built-in charts.

I made an offhand reference to the LNM and needing regular updates in an earlier post. Let me explain. Every week, the CG publishes changes to the charts. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of them in each region. This is the Local Notice to Mariners.

For example, a bridge that I need to pass under this weekend is scheduled for maintenance from Friday night through Wednesday. Because I knew this, I'm leaving Friday instead of Saturday so I'm not trapped above it. Last year, I took the South passage around an island instead of the North. Next week, the LNM included a chart update reporting a rock on the North passage. It was only dumb luck that it wasn't me who "found" that rock. But now I know which way I should go next time.

Buoys are moved, shoaling and wrecks can infringe on the channel, lights are removed, and depths are updated. Construction and marine events can affect your plans. Fish farms and other aquaculture facilities are built where there used to be a passage.

The only way to know this stuff is to keep your charts updated. You can read each week's LNM and mark your paper charts yourself. Or you can download the latest electronic charts before getting underway.

Believe me, I've been burned by using old charts, even in waters I'm familiar with.

I would never rely on built-in charts, second-hand chart chips or old paper charts.

I've had a Garmin 740 not 740s for a couple of years and love it. .

The sounder part is outlandishly accurate. I dipped mine in the water this past weekend and was amazed at graphics and detailed plot data.

My only issue now is how much squirming through the boat to do to get the transducer installed!

:(

I am with Ron... While my plotter is a Standard Horizon, the card I bought with it only has shoreside info on it and does NOT enhance the charts or navigation aspect. TBH, it was a waste of money for me because of our limited boating radius and a lifetime in NC, I already knew a lot about the things on land we could reach. There are also plenty of more thorough resources for the same info.

Whoa. Very critical feedback. Thank you Captain Widman. You just saved me a future impulse buy. I will look to manage and download routes with some of the cheaper/freeware options available.

Thanks again! Owe you a beer or ten.

Glad I could help. ;)

At the risk of dragging this thread out, several references have been made to using old or built-in charts.

I made an offhand reference to the LNM and needing regular updates in an earlier post. Let me explain. Every week, the CG publishes changes to the charts. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of them in each region. This is the Local Notice to Mariners.

For example, a bridge that I need to pass under this weekend is scheduled for maintenance from Friday night through Wednesday. Because I knew this, I'm leaving Friday instead of Saturday so I'm not trapped above it. Last year, I took the South passage around an island instead of the North. Next week, the LNM included a chart update reporting a rock on the North passage. It was only dumb luck that it wasn't me who "found" that rock. But now I know which way I should go next time.

Buoys are moved, shoaling and wrecks can infringe on the channel, lights are removed, and depths are updated. Construction and marine events can affect your plans. Fish farms and other aquaculture facilities are built where there used to be a passage.

The only way to know this stuff is to keep your charts updated. You can read each week's LNM and mark your paper charts yourself. Or you can download the latest electronic charts before getting underway.

Believe me, I've been burned by using old charts, even in waters I'm familiar with.

I would never rely on built-in charts, second-hand chart chips or old paper charts.

CaptTom,

I believe you are the exception rather than the rule. Most boaters can get by just fine with older charts. Remember, we have our eyes, our ears, and other navigation equipment to help us find our way.

I believe you are the exception rather than the rule. Most boaters can get by just fine with older charts. Remember, we have our eyes, our ears, and other navigation equipment to help us find our way.

I suppose I am the exception. I am only speaking for myself.

I spent years navigating by eye, ear, compass and depth sounder. I have used outdated charts. I know it CAN be done. But that was in familiar waters, and I was out there every day so I knew right away when something changed.

Old charts will not help me avoid a recently-discovered submerged rock. They will not tell me that the draw bridge can't open this weekend. They will not tell me that there's now a fish farm in that passage I used last year. They will not tell me that there's a new offshore LNG terminal being built and the whole area is off-limits to me. And if I find myself out at night or in fog, it is nice to know that a foghorn now has to be activated by radio, or which lights have been removed, or moved, or reduced in intensity.

Your brain is your primary navigation equipment. Everything else is just input.

And I want the most accurate input I can get.

If that makes me the exception, I'm OK with that.

I suppose I am the exception. I am only speaking for myself.

I spent years navigating by eye, ear, compass and depth sounder.

You are not the exception. I grew up on the Chesapeake as the navigator on my Daddy's boats. The sense of adventure of going to some unknown port hooked me. It was like Star Trek to me except the Chesapeake was our space and the ports our planets. I never encountered a green chick, however... ;)

So I explored every page of the chart book wondering what was on the next page. Learned the markers and the light flash durations and figured out compass deviation. Our depth finder was some odd rotating dial with a blinking light.

GPS is a great convenience, but your senses and brain is what's really important.

"Most boaters can get by just fine with older charts"

The waters don't change very much ,tho over the years the buoy numbering changes feequently.

Our ICW charts from the 60's and 70's have 7 or 8 changes to nav aids , in the same location.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom