Thai Trawler - Wheelhouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phuket

Veteran Member
Since the foredeck went so smoothly and the carpenter offered me a good price to carry on and do the wheelhouse I decided to go for it. *So today they started ripping into it. *We will raise the roof to the tops of the exisiting posts and extend it to the rear most posts. *New sides, new sliding doors, windows and furniture inside. *They estimate three weeks.

Attachments

• wheelhouse1-1.jpg
    wheelhouse1-1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 178
  • wheelhouse1-2.jpg
    wheelhouse1-2.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 165
  • wheelhouse1-3.jpg
    wheelhouse1-3.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 184
I didn't make it to the boat the last couple few days due to some family dramas but when I got there today I was stoked with the progress. *The higher, long roof is going to work great. *The crapenters have the top on now and are working on the sides. *I am already thinking about the first trip out for a few days sleeping on board! *

Here are some pictures from today. *By the way the little girl is my daughter rather than an apprentice carpenter.

Attachments

• wheelhouse5-1.jpg
    wheelhouse5-1.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 166
  • wheelhouse5-2.jpg
    wheelhouse5-2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 168
  • wheelhouse5-4.jpg
    wheelhouse5-4.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 178
  • wheelhouse5-5.jpg
    wheelhouse5-5.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 169
Some more pics

-- Edited by Phuket on Saturday 27th of June 2009 03:43:17 AM

Attachments

• wheelhouse5-7.jpg
    wheelhouse5-7.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 180
  • wheelhouse5-3.jpg
    wheelhouse5-3.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 168
That is comming along nicely! Just out of curiosity what is the pay/hr for a painter who would do teak bright work?
I used to do work with the sugar companies in Thailand before I retired it's a great place!
Steve

Hi Steve,

For varnishing or painting work the guys are generally getting paid by the day or if done by a company then it would be a quote job including materials. *If you hired an individual and provided your own materials you may pay between 10-30 dollars a day depending on the length of your job and the amount of work around at that time. *

Yes you are right Thailand is a great place, I came here for six months over 8 years ago and am still here with no plans to leave at the moment!

Cheers, leon.

you'e going to have a nice boat when you get done, and you already have a beautiful family!

Thanks Red, glad you are enjoying the pictures.

Cheers, Leon.

Leon,
Good to se the progress you are making.
Looks like you get to use the boat as you work and in terrific cruising locations.
I am heading north on the Qld coast at present.
Covering country you are familar with.
Presently in Bundaberg as I wait for a new AVR for my gen set.
Should be away tomorrow and heading north Keppel Island, Middle Percy and then Mackay.
Hope to get to Lizard Island this year.
Keep up the good work and enjoy.

Benn

Hi Benn,

Good to hear from you and good to hear you are out there enjoying the coast and the islands. *The area between Bundaberg and Cairns I actually am not familiar with by boat, more by car and some kayaking at Hinchinbrook.

Are you up the river in the Bundaberg town marina or down by the port? ***I checked in there about nine years ago coming in from New Caledonia. *When I came here to Phuket I left my boat up the Mary River at Maryborough which is a nice little town with good access to Fraser Island.

Once you get to Cairns and up to Lizard Island you will be back in areas that I once knew very well. *It would be good to see some pictures of your cruising along the way. *I bet some of the other members would also like to see some pics of the Australian coast as most of them cruise quite different waters.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Leon.

Leon,
At present i am at the marina at the mouth of the Burnett river (Bundaberg).
Was in the Susan river near maryborough the other day, sheltering from some strong North Westerlies.
As i head North will post some pics, really hope to spend some time at Hinchinbrook inside and out.
Thre is some good walking on Hinchenbrook and also fantastic fishing in the passage for barra and Mangrove Jacks, (I am an avid Salt water fly fisherman and a spearo)
The crocks will keep me out of the water in that country.
Will post some pictures as I travel north.
Must start a new thread.

There is a boat builder here in Bundy building some vewry nice power cats, will get a few photos before I get away.

Benn

A few more update photos as the new wheelhouse structure starts to come together. *In case you are wondering the sloped section at the aft end of the cabin is a cutout for a steep stairway leading up to the roof. *Side doors and aft door will be sliding, windows I am still trying to decide. *I guess for now, that for cost reasons I will go with simple fixed perspex and try it for a while. *The three doors and two opening hatches in the roof will hopefully provide enough ventilation. *

Cheers, Leon.

Attachments

• wheelhouse8-1.jpg
    wheelhouse8-1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 163
  • wheelhouse8-2.jpg
    wheelhouse8-2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 169
  • wheelhouse8-3.jpg
    wheelhouse8-3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 153
  • wheelhouse8-4.jpg
    wheelhouse8-4.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 160
Leon,Very nice job in keeping the lines of the boat considered while building the wheelhouse. What is Perspex?
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the comment, yes I have been trying to keep similar lines and I will paint in the same style which accentuates the lines. *Perspex is plexiglass or polycarbonate (not lexan), the basic clear or tinted plastic sheets. *We will use 5mm thick sheets, comes in a sheet same size as plywood 4x 8, clear on the front and smoky on the sides.

Cheers, Leon.

Be sure never to use paper products on that acrylic. It'll scratch the dickens out of it. Stick with soft cloth.

A few more progress pics. *Work has slowed this week as the carpenters had a few dramas elsewhere but looks like today the started again. *I am looking forward to getting the boat moving soon and having in floating all the time rather than stuck in the mud!

I am aware of the pitfalls of the plastic material I am using, but it will do for this year.

Cheers, Leon.

Attachments

• wheelhouse9-1.jpg
    wheelhouse9-1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 147
  • wheelhouse9-2.jpg
    wheelhouse9-2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 152
  • wheelhouse9-3.jpg
    wheelhouse9-3.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 157
  • wheelhouse9-4.jpg
    wheelhouse9-4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 153
  • wheelhouse9-5.jpg
    wheelhouse9-5.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 157
Work is progressing well now and she looks like a boat again. *Time to start painting and glassing the roof - if the rain will hold off. *Carpenters are making a seat in front of the wheelhouse and starting on the wheelhouse floor incorporating engine access hatches. *

Cheers, Leon

Attachments

• wheelhouse12-1.jpg
    wheelhouse12-1.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 155
  • wheelhouse12-2.jpg
    wheelhouse12-2.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 154
  • wheelhouse12-3.jpg
    wheelhouse12-3.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 169
  • wheelhouse12-5.jpg
    wheelhouse12-5.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 177
In case you don't already know, Maguires has some polishing products specifically for Plexiglas/Perspex. We use them on the Plexiglas windshields and windows of the airplanes I fly, and on the venturi panels on our boat. They do a great job, and even buff out small scratches. I don't know if Maguires products are available in your part of the world, but I'm sure you can find something similar or order the Maquires product from an internet catalog.

Plexiglas/Perspex is more scratch-resistant that Lexan although Lexan is stronger than Plexiglas. Your choice sounds ideal for your application without the expense (or difficulty) of using glass.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 13th of July 2009 12:23:02 PM

A few more progress pics as the wheelhoue interior starts to come together.*

Thanks for the heads up on the cleaning products, I was not aware of this product. *I do order from Port Supply and Lewis quite regularly so I will include in a future order.

Cheers, leon.

Attachments

• wheelhouse15-1.jpg
    wheelhouse15-1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 168
  • wheelhouse15-2.jpg
    wheelhouse15-2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 165
  • wheelhouse15-3.jpg
    wheelhouse15-3.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 168
Wheelhouse carpentry work is now finished. *We are now focussing on external painting, must admit I am doing a very basic work boat finish with no fairing, but am using two pack local International paint.

Also want to get started on a railing on top of the wheelhouse this week and adjust the height of the forward awning, plus fit the swim platform.

Cheers, Leon.

Attachments

• wheelhouse16-1.jpg
    wheelhouse16-1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 174
  • wheelhouse16-2.jpg
    wheelhouse16-2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 153
  • wheelhouse16-3.jpg
    wheelhouse16-3.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 142
Thanks for the feedback. *I was very happy to get the boat moving again today, took it out from the mud berth in front of the carpenter's shop and brought it up to the marina where I work. *Felt great driving in the new wheelhouse, although it was a little spoilt by the fact that turning the wheel to port made the boat go to starboard! *One of my guys fitted a new steering ram and obviously got the hoses back to front. *It was challenging going down a winding channel then parking in the marina to say the least! *I hope to get a railing on top of the wheelhouse roof, finish painting and fit the swim platform during the next week in the marina. *Really looking forward to the first overnight trip with the family!
Cheers, Leon.

Back
Top Bottom