Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still trying to figure out your forum. I did post a picture of the boat. I have a 43 Bayliner.

You may need more posts before you are allowed.

I think it's automatic after 10 posts. You can do pics. A moderator can say for sure.

I'll work on that I'm waiting on a weather window to head north. It still might be to early to head out. I'm glad I'm not in central Fl.

It looked a little stormy on the Mid East coast of Fl

Had to get some fuel additive. Lot's of company this morning. They're going the same speed or faster then me. Only difference is I cut the corners tighter.

ForumRunner_20130418_092402.jpg

Last edited:
Blow boaters on the icw It must be rough on the open water. Or there's a lack of true sailors.

Did you get some bad fuel or is it sitting in the tank to long.

I know it must be messing with their preconceptions of a "power" boat but they are very slowly leaving me behind :)

The fuel thing is an ongoing mystery. There is a separate thread under power systems named more smoke. It will be interesting to see if I gain on them when going with the current vs against as has been the case thus far.

The boats with the tall pointy thing motor quite well as they tend to push the rpms to hull speed.

The boats with the tall pointy thing motor quite well as they tend to push the rpms to hull speed.

Very true. Few will slow down for a pass, and it makes it difficult for a power boat to give them a good pass. When you see the deep sag in the water line you know that he is making near hull speed. A long sailboat can make 7 or 8 knots at hull speed.

How far are you going to get today, Mark? You need to make hay while the sun shines because there is a POWERFUL front on the way. Get to the Oriental Harbor Marina or at least the Morehead City Yacht Basin. I wouldn't want to be at Dudley's or Wrightsville Beach when it comes thru. Southport might be ok too. Of course, you stayed out in a near hurricane, but you are alone now, so be careful, please.

You must be more patient then you realize since your watching :) or is it like a car wreck and you just can't help but look :).

I'm like the Larry Bird of boaters, I'm going to out work you (14 hour days), cut the corners off to out smart you and pass you at the fuel docks. I'm that guy you keep passing everyday asking yourself how the hell did he get in front of me again?

Case in point they are all following the marked channel regardless of their draft. I don't, I go the shortest distance where there is enough water. It's not a road out here, that's much of the joy of the freedom.

Tom,
Hey now let's not forget I also rode out Irene solo :). When's the storm coming and what kind of winds are we talking?

Forecast By Saturday 20-30 knot winds. 6-12 footers offshore Outer Banks

Possible gale force winds Fri night Saturday

Last edited:
The few times I've ever passed anyone I have had no problems with them slowing/cooperating. They are our brothers, we need to show that we're kindred spirits and not to be lumped in with the jewelry wearing go-fasts :)

Sorry if that came across as preachy, but I think I'm preaching to the choir here with most everyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom