going north from FL to NY end April

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"The idea of being caught offshore in a squall or while crossing the Gulf Stream here in Florida is not on my favored list."

Trawlers run at 6-7K , most powerboats with gassers wont top 25 mph(20K)

Squalls move at 25K to 40K, outrun how?

"The idea of being caught offshore in a squall or while crossing the Gulf Stream here in Florida is not on my favored list."

Most squalls are very small in diameter, so a lateral move, if caught early enough, can be successful.

Most squalls are very small in diameter, so a lateral move, if caught early enough, can be successful.

True, true. I have dodged squalls crossing NC's Pamlico Sound with weather animation charts and course plotting. Even when they hit, they are short-lived. Oriental to Ocracoke is a 50-mile run, similar to the Florida passage, but with vastly different depths and current conditions.

I run about 7 knots. 8 with a tail wind ;)

Perpendicular course, targeting the least of the effects.

You'll get wet and blown, just how much is what you can influence.

:-|

True, true. I have dodged squalls crossing NC's Pamlico Sound with weather animation charts and course plotting. Even when they hit, they are short-lived. Oriental to Ocracoke is a 50-mile run, similar to the Florida passage, but with vastly different depths and current conditions.

I run about 7 knots. 8 with a tail wind ;)

This cruiser I have under contract is supposed to top out at 37-39 knots.

This cruiser I have under contract is supposed to top out at 37-39 knots.

Fountain? Wellcraft? That sounds like a slow Fountain or fast Hatteras. Larson made a stepped hull that would go pretty fast.

Now I'm curious.

No worries getting from A to B in that baby.

Till the 4 ft chop.

No worries getting from A to B in that baby.

Till the 4 ft chop.

Well. Yeah. Then you might be back to trawler speed. Unless the wavelength is long. But that's not implied by the word "chop".
:|

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom