View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #128
healhustler
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I waxed enthusiastic musings on another forum a couple of years ago after attending the Dusseldorf Boat Show. Several potential electric hybrid boats were there including the Greenline version, but I really got my tree chopped down about it. Reuben's boat was already making magazine covers, Lagoon was launching a hybrid version of their popular charter cat (featuring the Electric Wheel if I recall), Torquedo seemed to be gaining market share with their outboards, Bob Vincent over at Endeavour was introducing a new electric day boat even while the rest of the industry wallowed in a ditch of downsizing, cutbacks and downright door closings. All we needed was a govt. NASA-like push for battery tech, and I thought sure it was coming. Duh?

When I take a look at the really easy-to-push hulls out there like the PDQ 34, Motorcat 30, Legacy 32, Willard 30, the aforementioned Scout 30, I wonder why it hasn't been tried more often with some of the current efficient designs.

My Admiral and I are paying close attention to battery design. Torquedo came out with a 90 HP outboard some months ago. I know an investment like this will likely never pay for itself, but speaking for the two of us, we're interested in silent cruising in our Manatee. 65 HP would do everything we want to do except range. We need the battery.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote