Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Video is not visable on my android, but was totally awesome when watched on my PC. She sure sounded great.
No problem viewing on a laptop PC, great sound too.
Congratulations on another major step in the project,hope Qantas/Emirates(or is it Emirates/Qantas) don`t want their engine back.

Video is not visable on my android, but was totally awesome when watched on my PC. She sure sounded great.

Hi Theran,
Thanks for your comment. As you could probably tell, I'm not the most tech savvy fella so I'm not sure what I didn't do right but glad it worked on your PC. Perhaps it's a forum issue as I uploaded it from my PC via the upload video drop down box??!

Cheers again for your comments ;-)

No problem viewing on a laptop PC, great sound too.
Congratulations on another major step in the project,hope Qantas/Emirates(or is it Emirates/Qantas) don`t want their engine back.

Heya Bruce!
That's for your support. Hopefully she sounds a lot better when the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe goes on :). Qantas are Sh!t out of luck if they try to get this back haha. It's mine, all mineeeeeeee :-D

Hi Hendo78
Looks and sounds great, video is super resolution on my Mac.
Now if only my Perkins looked as good as your...........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi Hendo78
Looks and sounds great, video is super resolution on my Mac.
Now if only my Perkins looked as good as your...........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi mate
Thanks for your comments! The only thing wrong with having a clean motor is the work to maintain it looking good. I can see this becoming a pain in the arse very quickly :)

Hi mate
Thanks for your comments! The only thing wrong with having a clean motor is the work to maintain it looking good. I can see this becoming a pain in the arse very quickly :)

- Simple Green (bio degradable, even safe to ingest) - 5% SG to water in small garden sprayer, higher concentration for tough stain spots oil/fuel/grease...
- Spray-mist area - Let set for a minute
- Long bristle brush - Light scrubbing
- Rinse - Water
- Helps keep bilge clean too!
- Repeat as needed!

Happy Boat Daze! Art :D

- Simple Green (bio degradable, even safe to ingest) - 5% SG to water in small garden sprayer, higher concentration for tough stain spots oil/fuel/grease...
- Spray-mist area - Let set for a minute
- Long bristle brush - Light scrubbing
- Rinse - Water
- Helps keep bilge clean too!
- Repeat as needed!

Happy Boat Daze! Art :D

:)

been thinking about the hull and doing the epoxy fillets etc and ive decided to filp the boat (Which i should have originally done) finish building the hull, epoxy coat it and epoxy fillet it, more epoxy coating, sand, fair and paint then flip back. Cant do a good job upside down!

any tips on flipping a boat like mine? all i can see on the web is little dory type skiffs and small boats that two people flip over on tyres. Not really an option for me. Might need to hire a crane!

Crane or good quality all terrain forklift like what used on most job sites around here. The kind with the crane style booms and front stabilizing landing gear. Just rented a crane for my neighbors hot tub 3 weeks ago for $300 US. Cheap for a job well done.

A little rigging ingenuity, some tires, chain falls along with a cooler full of beer to attract some helpers and ya might be surprised what you can do.

Might cost a bit to get a crane out there, if someone nearby is doing building work with a crane it might soften the blow. You`ve too much invested to take any risks turning her over.
A while back a neighbor wanted to crane in an outdoor spa bath using my driveway. I had conditions, too many. A day later local news had photos of a crane (not on his job but same crane co.), on its side, jib neatly bisecting a house. So, no cowboys.

Met a guy out there this arvo for a quote. He said it'll take two cranes one hour to flip it. should cost around $400.00

I booked him in for Thursday morning at 0700hrs.

It should make sealing, glassing and epoxying the hull a hell of a lot easier.

been thinking about the hull and doing the epoxy fillets etc and ive decided to filp the boat (Which i should have originally done) finish building the hull, epoxy coat it and epoxy fillet it, more epoxy coating, sand, fair and paint then flip back. Cant do a good job upside down!

any tips on flipping a boat like mine? all i can see on the web is little dory type skiffs and small boats that two people flip over on tyres. Not really an option for me. Might need to hire a crane!

Portuguese have any tips for Hendo...? He did this with his boat hull not long ago. Suggest you pm him Hendo if he does not chime in soon.

Thanks Peter. I saw ports posts re his flip. Hopefully mine will go just as smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Well I went down today and took all the tarps and poly sheeting and installed more bracing and made it as strong as a rock ready for tomorrow's flipping exercise. Fingers crossed she doesn't fall to bits when they lift and flip.

Attachments

• image-443158512.jpg
    image-443158512.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 125
Hi all,
Well today Axe was flipped. Was a tense moment when she hung from two points but the boat is very strong and didnt creak, groan or crack. Really happy with how strong she is atm. She tipped the scales at 2 tonne. My estimates are that she will come out to around 10 tonne when finished, not including people or carry on items etc.

Really impressed and happy with the work so far. Shes one strong girl IMHO

Please see below for a couple of videos and some pics i took today

Cheers
Matt

[URL=http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/matthew_henderson1/media/IMG_2305.png.html]
img_150328_8_8bb614312b051988f1a0b4ae1cd6ae93.png
[/URL]

Last edited:
Cool! I'd love to be there to help. Great project!

Well done. Another good thing. This will have been a good dress rehearsal for when she has to be flipped back, also.

Haven't spent much time on AXE. weather has been sh!tfull and been busy with job interviews etc. Have ticked all the boxes on this one job back in the Oil and Gas industry with BP and have been told i should find out on Monday if I am successful. All feedback is that I have been so I'm pretty confident.

Went and bought a couple of items for AXE during the week.

Ordered and picked up an exhaust mixer and dropped that off at my mates exhaust shop that is making my stainless exhaust system for me. He will weld this on to the end of the dry side then the rubber exhaust fixes to the other side just past the water injection inlet.

I also picked up AXE a sea strainer, thru hull fitting and stop cock. Just finished making an epoxy a chopped fibreglass backing block so that should be good to pop out of the mould tomorrow then get all sanded up.

I also picked up a 100mtr roll of 300gsm fibreglass matting/cloth. Will put this on the hull and sides now I've flipped her. Wasn't planning to but I want to improve the impact strength of the ply. Strength wise she's fine but its more small impacts from jetties and tenders or submerged hazards I'm more concerned about. I chose to get the 310gsm as I am a stickler for over kill. When the hull and sides are epoxied and faired she will have an approx epoxy thickness of 20mm totally encapsulating the ply and almost making her a glass hull.

I also picked up a Bosch long haul 160amp 12volt alternator. Got it for $395 as opposed to $900 as it was an ex-showroom display model that had a few marks on it. I still get the 2 yr 250,000 km warrantee but seeing as its going in a boat and not a truck, I doubt that the warrantee will cover that but a good deal none the less.

I ordered a couple of new pulleys (one for the raw water fynspray intake pump and one for the new alternator so just waiting on them coming for interstate.

Other than that I've been spending some quality time with my partner in crime. She's been bad the last week.

That's all for this week folks. Hope y'all well and all that.

Attachments

• image-800970241.jpg
    image-800970241.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 125
  • image-3739856677.jpg
    image-3739856677.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 138
  • image-758283691.jpg
    image-758283691.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image-2391279614.jpg
    image-2391279614.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image-302158982.jpg
    image-302158982.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3321108559.jpg
    image-3321108559.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image-2762011659.jpg
    image-2762011659.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 136
  • image-3013301488.jpg
    image-3013301488.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 146
  • image-4195075462.jpg
    image-4195075462.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3563268352.jpg
    image-3563268352.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 157
  • image-2308970542.jpg
    image-2308970542.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 131
  • image-2377296973.jpg
    image-2377296973.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 139
  • image-3518908311.jpg
    image-3518908311.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1902025525.jpg
    image-1902025525.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 147
  • image-4023355258.jpg
    image-4023355258.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 137
Good to hear from you Hendo. That boat is going to be well named. By the time you've finished her she will be weapons grade. Maybe the name should be Battle Axe..? Our thoughts are with you. Hope all is going well re the other...

Good to hear from you Hendo. That boat is going to be well named. By the time you've finished her she will be weapons grade. Maybe the name should be Battle Axe..? Our thoughts are with you. Hope all is going well re the other...

Thanks Pete. PM sent

Last edited:
Hang in there Hendo, I hope all goes well for you and your partner.
Cheers
Mate
Benn

Matt - Never look back! Go forward!! BTW - All your recent parts picts are so bright and shinnnnnie, must mean you have sunny days a commen! Good luck and enjoy!! :thumb:

"Ordered and picked up an exhaust mixer and dropped that off at my mates exhaust shop that is making my stainless exhaust system for me. He will weld this on to the end of the dry side then the rubber exhaust fixes to the other side just past the water injection inlet."

Hendo:
I have a Perkins 4-236; my exhaust mixer is threaded into the exhaust manifold, not welded. Sooner or later it will need replacement, like mine did. I might have misunderstood what you are going to do though.
Mike
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom