Diesel Burn PH For A Detroit 510hp (92TT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kando

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kittyhawk
Vessel Make
Careel 22
I wonder...Just how much diesel would a 45' Australian retired Cray boat use per hour at cruise speed, with a Detroit 510hp (92TT) powering the boat. I'm guessing she would burn 11 US Gallons (41.6395 Litres) Plus, Per hour at cruise :popcorn: Here's a link to more information on the fishing boat.
I don't know for sure but I think I may be getting to be to old, 70, to stick with sail but, old coot or not, I'm fast coming to believe a light Trimaran of 37' to 42' would be a more economical boat for my needs, something like this...Or this beauty.

Bill
Australia

A 92 DD will produce about 16 -18 HOP for each gallon of fuel burned.

Have no idea how many HP it takes to keep your 45fter on plane.

If you want to go fast , light and at least a 6-1 LB ratio is required .

Then speeds of close to 16-20K can be done with almost displacement boat MPG efficiency.

Had a Nichols 45 ft Voyager built in the '60's in British Honduras , worked fine as a sail, cruiser but the 35HP engine limited the top speed to about 8K.

Last edited:
If you are willing to go slow and assuming that the boat weighs about 45,000 lbs, then it should take about 100 hp to push it to displacement speed of about 8.5 kts, half as much if you slow down to 7.

100 hp will require about 7 gph of diesel.

David

Thanks Mates

Thanks for your views mates. At $50 to $100 plus per hour, (depending on speed the boat is driven at) quenching that big donkers thirst is just way beyond my humble pocket, so scratch fast ex Cray boats, plus any other fast boats, from my search. At the price of diesel, I do not understand how anyone can run such boats. I guess fuel/running cost is the main reason we see so many beaut power cruisers never leaving the dock. Oh well, on with my search for a go anywhere light Trimaran, with a 9 - 15HP outboard back-up :thumb:

Last edited:
"I guess fuel/running cost is the main reason we see so many beaut power cruisers never leaving the dock."

There is also the huge fear that delayed or non existant PM will catch up with the engine , and the folks that cant afford new anti-freeze can hardly spring $30K for a rebuild.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom