Winter Improvement Projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy smokes, Dave....that is a beautiful work you've done there. 113 cans of beer really is theoretical, as anyone who has installed such a device for such a purpose would already be throwing back a few as the stocking was being done.

Finally got all my windlass parts so can put it back together this weekend!
:confused: Will you be doing the work, Jennifer? If so, I would like to get you & my wife together for a few hours. :D

:confused: Will you be doing the work, Jennifer? If so, I would like to get you & my wife together for a few hours. :D

Lol yeah that baby is mine all mine. I got the new parts for my birthday. :). When are you coming to visit us in the delta? We're all waiting!!

. When are you coming to visit us in the delta? We're all waiting!!
It would have been a lot sooner but my manager (Al) says the time isn't right yet. I don't know what the hell THAT means!:blush:

Funny Walt! PG, I have also been trying to get SHII to come north. I think he's secretly afraid of running aground!

I'm sitting here on a crowded DC corner dodging raindrops and buses...wishing I was back in the delta!

Last edited:
In all honesty, that thought has crossed my mind once or twice!

Well come on up Walt, you and I can share that fear together. Besides, Sea Horse II draws more water than Bliss. It'll give me someone to follow when the water gets skinny :)

Besides, Sea Horse II draws more water than Bliss.
Craig; Don't misunderstand me, when I come, I will fly up there! Can't wait to meet all you guys & gals and possibly wait for hours in FlyWright's cockpit for a sturgeon to bite.:oops:

Hours? You're being kind, Walt! I've waited days and weeks. When sturgeon fishing, waiting is half (or more) of the fun!

You guys with keel-protected props have got nothing to worry about as long as your reverse works. I'm a bit envious of y'all.

The admiral has trouble stepping of Fryedaze on a high tide. I saw a sailboat with a milk crate as a step. I always go overboard so I found a double wide milk crate and put 3/4" teak ply wood on the top and inside to create a heavy step.

Attachments

• SDC12166.jpg
    SDC12166.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 85
Got my new wildcat and friction plates installed!!

Attachments

• image-2255192632.jpg
    image-2255192632.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image-683599825.jpg
    image-683599825.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 77
Matt must be elated! :rolleyes: What size chain do you have?

Walt - - > Gotta be careful as to how you frame words re what size chain a gal has for her guy to tooooo elated about! :eek: :facepalm:

Just funnen!! :dance:

Walt - - > Gotta be careful as to how you frame words re what size chain a gal has for her guy to tooooo elated about!

Art:

I was just looking at the way the links nest in the gypsy & wondered what size they are! I swear, it's as innocent as that! :blush:

Art:

I was just looking at the way the links nest in the gypsy & wondered what size they are! I swear, it's as innocent as that! :blush:

Ya, sure... tell it to the judge, errrr priest! ;) :lol:

Lol ooookay Al!

Walt I honestly don't know. It didn't match up with any measurements I could find so we cut off a sample (easy there Art) and sent it to Cliffe at Ideal to match with a wildcat. I asked him what kind of chain it was and I can't recall his answer but it was along the lines of "some kind of something" lol. Hopefully the chain and wildcat will mesh together better than with the old wildcat.

Hopefully the chain and wildcat will mesh together better than with the old wildcat.
When I bought my boat, I had trouble with the chain constantly slipping. I determined it was 5/16" chain so I did what you did and cut a piece off for my windlass guy to look at. He pulled out a length of 3/8" and it fit the gypsy's chain pockets like a dream. Here's a pic from the Internet showing a chain that fits properly.

1) Internet Pic
2) My Windlass & Samson Post

Attachments

• Chain & Gypsy.jpg
    Chain & Gypsy.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 81
  • chain & Samson post.jpg
    chain & Samson post.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Lol ooookay Al!

Walt I honestly don't know. It didn't match up with any measurements I could find so we cut off a sample (easy there Art) and sent it to Cliffe at Ideal to match with a wildcat. I asked him what kind of chain it was and I can't recall his answer but it was along the lines of "some kind of something" lol. Hopefully the chain and wildcat will mesh together better than with the old wildcat.

Jennifer - O' O 'O' I'll not touch several portions therein of that post with a ten inch pole! No comment... lips are sealed, I promise!! :rofl:

BTW - Did you know I drive a Wildcat Muscle Car!! Just sayen... :popcorn: LOL

OK its only 103 cans of beer, and not those Aussie 20 OZ cans.

This Memorial Day Weekend: Admiral and I spent 5 days cruisen and hooken and playen and swimmen and helpen others from aboard our Tolly and Crestliner runabout! :socool:

1. I swam twice... First swim was under boat to clean bottom and all metal parts as well as wire brush scrub zincs clean of oxidation (we’re SF’s Delta fresh water)... Second swim was to scrub the sides of boat from chine to well above her boot strap (removed her accumulated winter beard). Rest o’ swimmen during those 1 +/- hour swims was for sheer fun!
2. Repaired a hairline seep-crack in a joint on port heat exchanger
3. Drilled and refastened port railing lift gate hinge
4. Reorganized all onboard tools and spare parts and extra lines and calk materials... etc – those items fill the lockers and some of the closet floor in forward V-Berth stateroom
5. Established a pass through area to sun deck in full-sized screen section of window at top, starboard in salon rear wall... makes BBQ’n on sun deck mush easier for food/tool transfers from up-galley in salon
6. Placed new bright white bilge-diapers under both engines – 4 yr old diapers were dingy as well as occasional fluid stains
7. Fastened suspension anchor clamps on forward area of bow rail to hang lightweight aluminum anchor (Danforth style) with 75’ of 5/8" line, for when Tolly is nosed into tules and hook is set on land ahead. Edge of many SF Delta islands have steep drop off from 0’ to 10’ +/- depth in 5’ +/- length... usually 20’ or deeper at swim step as boat nose rests against island edge.
8. Fastened suicide knob onto steering wheel of our tow behind Crestliner “Stinger” o/b runabout
9. Spent 1.5 hrs performing vessel assist for two rafted boats 100 yards from us that broke loose in 25 + mph winds while they slept in early morn and had fetched up blown-against a granite stone levee. Outcome was pretty good. Both boats saved and occupants OK (even though, during maneuvers and line pulling, one wife did fall head-over-heels over the boat's starboard/stern area side railing and landed inside a side-tied Boston Whaler dink – ouch on her ribs! :facepalm:)

Other than that stuff – We played / Watched many videos in eve / BBQ’d 4 times / Gunk holed in our runabout / And, enjoyed every minute!
:thumb:
Happy boating... Daze! – Art and Linda :D :D :speed boat:

Last edited:
windscreen

Am doing maintenance on boat such as new bellows on the PYY dripless shaft seal, stripping and refinishing cabin sole and one water damaged panel under settee, new windscreen on flybridge, trying to get fiberglass guy to do some gelcoat repairs but he never appears.

Building new swim platform at home during darkest winter. Decided to make it out of white PlasTeak rather than real teak due to cost and maintenance

Did you have any luck finding a replacement windscreen?

Tom

Did you have any luck finding a replacement windscreen?

Tom

Took the old one (in several pieces) to glass shop and they used it as a template to cut a new one out of Lexan.

Last Winter

Last winter we rebuilt wheel house and v-berth. This year we want to replace cap rail . Teak lumber prices are quite a bit higher than they were 10 years ago, around $20 board ft now, so not sure what we will do.

Attachments

• william interior refit 012.jpg
    william interior refit 012.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 73
  • william interior refit 009.jpg
    william interior refit 009.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 81
  • william interior refit 008.jpg
    william interior refit 008.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 70
  • william interior refit 006.jpg
    william interior refit 006.jpg