View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:38 AM   #20
sunchaser
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
advice re boat

No flybridge? The beauty of the PNW is best enjoyed from the top deck. For a single engine vessel, check out the Nordhavn 4Xs, Selene 43, Nordic Tug 42 or American Tug 41. All top notch PNW vessels. The Nordhavn and Selene are hull speed vessels whereas the Tugs are both 15 knot vessels if you desire the increased speed. Three years ago I was looking in the 40-44 range and quickly went to 50' range for additional space and improved sea keeping.

The newer Grand Banks in this size range are all twins. And why do not want a twin?*A GB 47/49 is a beauty and with twins at displacement speed very fuel miserly. On my twin Defever 48 I burn 4-5 gph at 8 knots with 1000 gal of fuel capacity to boot! Try to get to the September Seattle boat show. Look very seriously for a covered side decks vessel. Staying dry in the PNW is a must in my book.

Consider berthing in Canada where you can avoid the very steep WA taxes. The cruising grounds in Canada are less crowded. At my Sidney BC marina over 1/2 of vessels are US flagged.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Wednesday 8th of July 2009 05:46:44 AM
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote