Winter Improvement Projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
-Replace leaking salon slider windows
-Replace side and rear pilothouse slider windows
-Teak trim-out of pilothouse

Hi Healhustler - you replacing windows through your own hard work or having a yard do it? I'm doing similar in the Marine Trader this spring, but have a guy doing it. Wondering how hard it is...

Ben
MV Sand Castle

Spring projects: :thumb:

1. Build easily/readily available “on the hook” pressure powered wash down system (washes previously accomplished at dock or by a line fastened drop-bucket while out and about):

Recently purchased 12V – 9A – 6.5 gpm Jabsco Water Puppy self prime pump w/ needed attachments. Already have a real cool, small, hand-held 120V pressure washer that pumps water up to 110 psi. I’m bolting Jabsco pump inside a secure yet vented but leak proof clear plastic box that is fastened upon a small, thick/rigid plastic base-plate. When in use I plan to firmly attach this unit onto swim step’s far port side, right up next to transom (will have stud and wing nut slightly protruding though swim step at edge of transom, to fit through hole in plastic base plate). When not in use will store pump, pressure washer, and other apparatus under starboard bridge seat. 12V wire with waterproof end plug and inline switch will come out from Water Puppy box to connect to lead-plug directly connected to batteries that will be coming out of transom next to white center running light. 50’ Re-coil hose to use any place on our 34’ Tolly and genset powering the 120V pressure washer whenever it needs to be used for wash down. That’s my plan for an often kept-clean boat in fresh water.

2. Strip down superstructure’s gel coat oxidation and buff her back up to full/lasting shine with professional grade strip/shine pastes/fluids and brand new 120V, adjustable rpm buffing machine.

Yea Tolly! – Art :D

Also plan to replace anodes this summer during one of my many under-boat dives for keeping bottom and all apparatus clean.

We recently spent couple days aboard getting her ready for 2013 seasons; she’d sat dormant in covered slip for just three months. No special interior projects planned... just clean up / check up... then MUCH Play.

Here’s wishing a great 2013 for all boaters! :speed boat:

well, its like this ...

I could have bought a new to me boat, but instead I/we:
re-powered with a 0 hour merc 350 instead of the old Ford. I got the merc from a nice guy who wanted to drop a diesel into his Tolly 26;
I broke the merc down and sent the long block off to S & J in Spokane for a re-manufacture
removed the original fuel tanks
replaced with new plastic fuel tanks;
cleaned, wiped, sanded, primed and painted the entire bilge beneath the cockpit;
sent the velvet drive out for a complete redo;
had all running gear removed and refastened;
new trim tabs;
new prop;
remachined the shaft log;
new thru hull exhausts;
new (to me) teak swim step from an ancient Owens;
new wiring;
new battery switch;
new fuses/box;
new instruments and panel;
Refastened bow rail;
removed old water tanks(not yet replaced);
sanded to bare wood and refinished all cockpit wood; and,
new bottom paint
Zodiac tender with Honda 2hp
But I still have a 48 year old tolly with window leaks when it rains hard
smile.gif

Last week I picked up a Ryobi 2200 Gennie/Inverter for cheap so I can use the microwave with impunity to heat baby food while on the hook.
Just other older guy with a younger wife and 8 month old

I can use the microwave with impunity to heat baby food while on the hook.
Just other older guy with a younger wife and 8 month old

:lol:

correction

Just another older guy, I meant to type.

Hi Healhustler - you replacing windows through your own hard work or having a yard do it? I'm doing similar in the Marine Trader this spring, but have a guy doing it. Wondering how hard it is...

Ben
MV Sand Castle

Hi Ben: I'm up here in Stuart, FL on the hard and doing shaft seal, bottom paint, removing a thru-hull in one area and installing another in another area. Trimming out the pilothouse is underway, deck sealing and painting will start next week, and then the windows is something I'll deal with at home. I'm told they are a _ _ tch with the glue the mfg. used. If it's anything like the stuff they used on the pilothouse roof, I'm in trouble. I'll let you know when I get to it, but it probably won't be in the next two weeks.

so i got the fresh water pump replaced, works great now.
on saturday i pulled the heatexchangers incl the assemblies and thermostats and drained coolants.
all delivered to the shop for cleaning and then is time to replace it all.
looks like i might replace 2 8D's while I am down there..
meantime i am half way done sanding and painting my 13'RIB, she is going to look stealthy for the season.

My neighbour who is even more of a glass-half-empty guy than I am says its all going to blow off in the first big windstorm. Time will tell. 690 watts and I haven't added up all the bills yet but it's well under $3 per watt for everything. I'm pretty sure its over $2 but maybe not by much.

Attachments

• Framework.jpg
    Framework.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Solar.jpg
    Solar.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 80
I'm just working through maintenance and minor repairs this year. It's nice to not have a huge project list.

One of my incandecent bulb spreader lights went out last trip so I removed them and installed two LED light fixtures. While I had a ladder in place I swapped out the anchor light bulb for an LED as well. "Cetoled" teak on the handrails, "hatband and flybridge. Still have some small teak peices I'll do on the next trip.
Steve W
MVGUMBO

So far, Pilothouse teak window trim done, haul out and bottom paint done (no blisters), thru-hull removed and patched, another thru-hull added under veranda for genset relocation, veranda trim, transom door frame, ladder steps and cap rail stripped and ready for Cetol, invertor/charger repaired-reinstalled, stateroom floor 2 X 3 area of parquet removed, sub floor reinforced and redone with new parquet, teak bow steps removed for suspected leaks underneath, beginning deck sealing this week and have already made cut for new hatch in the veranda for genset relocation from under galley.....blubidy-blubidy-blubidy.:banghead:

So far, Pilothouse teak window trim done, haul out and bottom paint done (no blisters), thru-hull removed and patched, another thru-hull added under veranda for genset relocation, veranda trim, transom door frame, ladder steps and cap rail stripped and ready for Cetol, invertor/charger repaired-reinstalled, stateroom floor 2 X 3 area of parquet removed, sub floor reinforced and redone with new parquet, teak bow steps removed for suspected leaks underneath, beginning deck sealing this week and have already made cut for new hatch in the veranda for genset relocation from under galley.....blubidy-blubidy-blubidy.:banghead:

You've been busy, HH. I'm surprised you have time to enjoy your boat. Got any pictures of the work?

So far this winter I've.......
1. scrubed and cleaned the bilge
2. painted the entire bilge
3. cut the top off of the hvac tunnel on top of the boat and dug all the nasty out, glassed in some 9# woven so any condensate will drain out of the vents and glassed all that back
4. repaired some piling damage to the roof. Low tide ripped a 4' section of the overhang off.
5. cleaned and primed the starboard motor
6. Pulled the transmission to rebuild it
7. Took the transmission pump in to find out that it was the problem with the tranmission
8. Oil pump is still in the shop because I blew my wad on the trani.....
9. Is it spring yet?????:banghead::banghead::banghead:

So far this winter I have:

- Built the tarpaulin boat house
- Got rid of (nearly) all bottom paint.
- Removed and fixed my stern anchor winch

Still to go:

- Paint the hull (barrier cote & antifouling)
- paint new waterline stripes
- Install the anchorwinch
- remove injectors (12) and have them serviced
- lots and lots of stuff..

You've been busy, HH. I'm surprised you have time to enjoy your boat. Got any pictures of the work?

Yeah! Here's a picture for ya. Just arrived today.:dance: New 7212 MFD, 18" Raydome, GSD-24 Soundbox, + various Bluecharts.

Attachments

• GEDC0058.jpg
    GEDC0058.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 80
Just finished one of my many winter projects, yanking the funky old carpet out.

So much for retirement. KJ

Attachments

• Winter project.1.jpg
    Winter project.1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Winter project.2.jpg
    Winter project.2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Winter project.3.jpg
    Winter project.3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 86
Is that carpet a genuine Searsistan, Lowesistan or Homedepotistan?

Yeah! Here's a picture for ya. Just arrived today.:dance: New 7212 MFD, 18" Raydome, GSD-24 Soundbox, + various Bluecharts.

Oooooooooooh! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Nice shiny new Garmin boxes!!

Will you be cutting into the panel to surface mount the displays?

Just finished one of my many winter projects, yanking the funky old carpet out.

So much for retirement. KJ

Wow that's nice looking parquet under there! That's got to be a rewarding project.

Oooooooooooh! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Nice shiny new Garmin boxes!!

Will you be cutting into the panel to surface mount the displays?

You bet. I've just finished the pilothouse window trim work and will be making the chart tables and helm control areas a bit more woody. Can't wait to start on our new helm, but many projects to finish first. I'm back in Key Biscayne now, but I'll be heading out to Stuart again in the morning to get back to the winter goals.

You bet. I've just finished the pilothouse window trim work and will be making the chart tables and helm control areas a bit more woody. Can't wait to start on our new helm, but many projects to finish first. I'm back in Key Biscayne now, but I'll be heading out to Stuart again in the morning to get back to the winter goals.

HH, Godda love new toys. Hope all is going well. Chuck

Wow that's nice looking parquet under there! That's got to be a rewarding project.

Yes, it was very rewarding. Until I put my hand down on a missed tack strip.

Owner:1 Boat: 1 KJ

Attachments

• OUCH.jpg
    OUCH.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 81
I told my girl this morning - "This is love". She told me to stop goldbricking, put down the phone, and get back to work.

That's my girl!! ❤❤❤

Attachments

• image-3847950883.jpg
    image-3847950883.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 121
I finally finished this and got it on the bridge this week. The cooler is a 12VDC/120AC unit with very lo amp draw. I added additional insulation to the box so the unit sits in there tight. No more buying ice for the bridge cooler. This baby hold 113 cans of beer and can be used as a freezer, which we will probably do when we cruise full time. The box is Mahogany and African Rosewood.
One to the next project!

Dave

Attachments

• 0411131111.jpg
    0411131111.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 0411131112b.jpg
    0411131112b.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 627
  • 0411131115a.jpg
    0411131115a.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 93
Dave that is the shiznits! Do you have a drain plumbed under the vent? Nice cushion

"This baby hold 113 cans of beer" ...

OK, is that a theoretical volume calculation, or have you actually stuffed it that full?:dance:

The connection/fitting for the power cords is set up and sloped to drain the box if water ever gets in it, which it should not. The actual cooler has no internal to external drains. The 113 can number is and advertised number from dometic.
Dave

here is my status:
major: heatexchangers removed, core send to radiator shop, replace two end caps.
flush system twice.. done.
fuel lines and returns replaced - done.
replaced fuel filters - done.
salon - new upholstery - done.
salon - new carpet - done.
remaining:
new batts
varnish (but that is a given if you have any wood on your boat).

We refinished the floors but will add two more coats before we call it done.
Matt got surround sound for Christmas so we have speaker wire to run.
We broke the TV antenna so are installing a new one (please no lectures on watching TV on the boat).
If ideal ever sends me my new wildcat I'll install it. I should prob remind Cliffe at ideal that he has my chain sample. :)
I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stuff. Never ends but that's ok.

Finally got all my windlass parts so can put it back together this weekend!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom