Rain-X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
If you've ever had doubts here you go. We don't even have wipers thanks to RainX

ForumRunner_20130413_082020.jpg

ForumRunner_20130413_082033.jpg

It works even better on a reverse-raked windshield. We apply every spring, and it still helps significantly at the end of a summer's cruise in SE Alaska. Getting the windshield really clean before-hand, and then applying it correctly (lots of elbow grease) are key.

I tried the product and it made a mess that was very difficult to remove. I can only guess I didn't apply it correctly or didn't use enough product.

Maybe I'll try it again this year.

Clean the window. Rub it into the glass with a cloth like applying wax. Let dry and buff. Just like waxing.

Tried it many times. And we know how to apply it correctly. Totally worthless in our opinion. The light mist and rain we get here isn't heavy enough to bead up and run down the glass so we need to use the wipers anyway, which renders the Rain X coating ineffective very quickly.

And while it does a good job of encouraging heavy spray knocked up by the bow and blown into the windows by the wind to sheet off we still need the wipers to get a good view of the rough water ahead to pick out debris and crab floats. So the Rain X goes away fast, particularly in salt water.

We gave up on it years ago and have never bothered with it since. Fortunately our boat has excellent wipers which do a far superior job than Rain X because we don't have to look through water running down the glass (during the short time it's effective). I know a lot of people swear by it and perhaps in the conditions they boat in it works for them. But up here we've determined that applying it is a waste of time.

Perhaps I'm not applying it properly, I'll read the directions, Craig!, but it doesn't seem to ever be the magic cure. Works great on the pickup as long as I'm moving along at 30+ mph.

I used to use it on our vehicles and during the day it was beneficial. But I drive a lot at night and the Rain X puts a thin film on the glass that causes a lot of glare and a bit of a "foggy" view. So I stopped using it as the wipers on all our vehicles work great.

The dealership applied a Rain X coating to the windshield of our new pickup and it's really pissing me off at night when I drive home after work. If I knew an effective way to get the stuff off I'd do it, but the only thing I know is just to let it wear off. Can't be too soon for me.

Last edited:
I used to use it on our vehicles and during the day it was beneficial. But I drive a lot at night and the Rain X puts a thin film on the glass that causes a lot of glare and a bit of a "foggy" view. So I stopped using it as the wipers on all our vehicles work great.

The dealership applies a Rain X coating to the windshield of our new pickup and it's really pissing me off at night when I drive home after work. If I knew an effective way to get the stuff off I'd do it, but the only thing I know is just to let it wear off. Can't be too soon for me.

Unfortunately we've had the same experience with their windshield washer solution; it smears the windshield. And there is no ambiguity about application - you just hit the washer button.

Odd. I've had nothing but complete satisfaction with the product and have used it since 1984. I find it annoying driving when it wears off and apply another coat ASAP.

Seldom turn on the wipers for anything but the heaviest of downpours and never had fogging issues.

Tried it many times. And we know how to apply it correctly. Totally worthless in our opinion. The light mist and rain we get here isn't heavy enough to bead up and run down the glass so we need to use the wipers anyway, which renders the Rain X coating ineffective very quickly.

Apparently you need "wannabead" windows.

For the last 10 years or so, I have always applied Rain-X on my pilothouse windows - front and side. I have it on the front for obvious reasons but I began applying it to the side windows as well as it is very effective in keeping those windows clear with much better visability when the salt spray is flying.

Last year, after spending 2 days at hard labor getting the water spots off the salon windows I now apply Rain-X on all the glass on my boat. It really makes a big difference in keeping the glass clean.

Ron

RainX fooey.

I have used it and I don't like it, never again. Made a heck of a mess if it wasn't absolutely fresh. Smears if it wasn't constantly renewed which is not always possible when you are on the highway or out on the water and it's rough.
Yes it got the rain rolling off but only if you had enough water and didn't need the wipers at all, then look out. For me it looked like smeared on road slime that wouldn't clear off.
It is virtually impossible to remove once applied so for those who like it great but for those that haven't yet applied it give it some carefull thought because if it turns out you don't like it you now have trouble.

As a mobile detailer for the last 6+ years ill shine some light. Rain X is amazing, but you absolutely must make sure its wiped/buffed completely off. When you think its gone wipe a few more times. You can always use plain ol wax non abrasive!!!!!! Maguire's has abrasives!!!! or just use an auto polish and a high speed buffer.

C lectric, IIRC, it's a petroleum-based product. Have you tried acetone or lemon juice to remove it?

If you use acetone make sure not to touch your wipers or winshield seal. It'll eat them away in no time :/

Didn't know about the clay bar.
However, I tried acetone, laquer thinner, xyzlene, methylene chloride and several other very nasty products and I could not get rid of it.
As it happened I got rid of the two cars and a bunch of years ago I had to replace the monkeyed boat windows so problem solved. That, though, was the wrong way to have to do it.

SO BE CAREFULL. If you want it fine, just be CAREFULL.

I find that I get much better results if I apply it when it is really cool like around 40 degrees F.

Rain X is amazing, but you absolutely must make sure its wiped/buffed completely off. When you think its gone wipe a few more times.

Exactly!

BTW, Sea Brite Rain View works well too.

Last edited:
Try ammonia to get it off.
I've started using Rain-X windshield washer fluid in my truck and it works great! I got the bright idea to put some in a spray bottle and spray my boat windows down too. Easier and quicker than applying the classic Rain-X.

I would imagine just good old often forgotten ammonia would remove it. I use ammonia all the time, it is a great grease cutter, glass cleaner, bildge cleaner, diesel spill cleaner, clothes freshener, etc.

careful with ammonia, not only if it touches any sort of bleaxh it makes chlorine gas which is deadly but, When ammonia enters the body as a result of breathing, swallowing or skin contact, it reacts with water to produce ammonium hydroxide. This chemical is very corrosive and damages cells in the body on contact.

On Volunteer I usually applied rainX twice a year and it worked fantastic in the vertical windows. On my cars in the drizzle of the northwest is works well IF you don't use the wipers. The haze that developes where the wipers sweep is a pain in the ass.
HOLLYWOOD

I would imagine just good old often forgotten ammonia would remove it. I use ammonia all the time, it is a great grease cutter, glass cleaner, bildge cleaner, diesel spill cleaner, clothes freshener, etc.

...and perfect for bee stings!

I bought a 70 year old Singer sewing machine off ebay for sewing canvas. Apparently, some little old lady had been sitting at it, sewing, and smoking cigarettes for most of its life. Ammonia on a rag made quick work of getting the brown stains off it.

This is something I learned years ago when I was playing music in smoky bars.

Ammonia is a great cleaner when used appropriately and safely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom