need 5/16 chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Anyone know where I can get 5/16" chain cheap? I'm a bit of a tight wad, OK more then a bit:blush:

Actually I just did some research on this , sailer man in Fort Lauderdale has high test change that's imported $3 per ft. and there's another place in Fort Lauderdale advertises both on eBay and Craigslist they're high test domestic chain $3.45. Ft

I have a client that bought 1000 feet of 3/8 G4 for $60!!!!

If you have a windlass, you not only need a specific diameter of chain, but you need a specific type. "G4" for example.

I suspect having chain shipped from an Internet vendor would wipe out most of the savings of buying it locally.

West Marine will have your chain, but it won't be "cheap". See if you can find some other marine retailers in your area.

Actually with my Port Supply I can get it for $2.60:thumb:

For overnight , low load anchoring , "Cheap Chain' which will probably be un-rated and not certified will probably be just fine.

For storm conditions usually nylon with a bit of HEAVY STRONG chain on the end is usually chosen.

Storm chain MUST be certified , at least for my boat.

ALL the connecting gear must also be certified , to get a good nights sleep.

"Cheap Chinese or Indonesian chain , no way , Great USA chain at a good price , sounds lots safer.

Mark, if not using Port Supply or Defender, Don's Marine Salvage in Clearwater has best price I've seen anywhere...$3.25 a foot I think for G4 5/16". it's new, not used, chain.

Geeze, Daddyo.....whatcha talkin to us for? 260 per ft. of 5/16 BBB would be a really good deal. I just bought 250 ft. of 5/16 BBB from Miami Cordage (canadian made) for 3.19, galv. dipped, not electroplated.

Motion30... I broke off your question to its own thread in Anchor forum.

Hey Mark,

I have a 5-gallon bucket of chain in the garage that I bought at the Oriental Consignment store that is too big for my windlass. TBH, I don't know what size it is. When I ask Bess what size we have on the boat now, she swears it's 3/8, but I am not so sure. 5/16 would be smaller than 3/8 and what I have extra is larger. I don't see a stamp on it, but it's good welded-link chain you are welcome to if you want it. Just give me whatever you think is slightly below fair ;-) If nothing else, you can check it for size.

Port supply must like you more than me. I order more from Defender- each time I get quotes from PS they are more expensive than my acct with defender. I may call you and have you order my 200' of 5/6" G4 from PS and have them ship it to me- $2.60 a foot is a great price.

BTW, Daddyo: If you get anywhere near Stuart, the Krogen 39 about 100 ft. from me just dumped his old 5/16" BBB on the concrete. Looks like over 200 ft. Free.

Port supply must like you more than me. I order more from Defender- each time I get quotes from PS they are more expensive than my acct with defender. I may call you and have you order my 200' of 5/6" G4 from PS and have them ship it to me- $2.60 a foot is a great price.

T,
I think it comes down to your PS level. I have gold now and the difference is surprising.

BTW, Daddyo: If you get anywhere near Stuart, the Krogen 39 about 100 ft. from me just dumped his old 5/16" BBB on the concrete. Looks like over 200 ft. Free.

Just went by Stuart what a day ago. Is the chain in decent shape? Might well be worth renting a car and coming back and getting it. I have a clients boat in FT Pierce that will be moved my way soon, I could get it put aboard:dance:

Just went by Stuart what a day ago. Is the chain in decent shape? Might well be worth renting a car and coming back and getting it. I have a clients boat in FT Pierce that will be moved my way soon, I could get it put aboard:dance:

Well, no. I wouldn't say it was in good shape. The owner of the Krogen 39 is a stickler for condition, and the chain looks rusty. It's nothing that I wouldn't use on my own boat after dipping it into a bucket of Ospho, but I wouldn't have any qualms about its strength. It may be 250 ft.. I bought 300 ft. to replace it, per request of the 39 owner, but 50 ft. was hacked off the end by a marina guy. The rest is laying there. Where are you now? I'll call the Krogen 39 owner and ask if he measured it.

Thanks for the offer but it doesn't sound any better then what I need to replace.:-(

T,
I think it comes down to your PS level. I have gold now and the difference is surprising.

See- refitting a boat from stem to stern has it's secondary benefits. Gotta spend lots o' $$$ to get Gold PS. My defender account treats me better but what the heck- worth a call to my PS sales rep to see if I complain enough they will bump my level up haha.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom