Cape Dory props

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reelhappy

Hello Everyone, I have recently purchased a 30' Cape Dory with twin TAMD 41B engines and MS4A transmissions. I need to install the props and while embarrassed to say I do not know which prop goes where. I am assuming that the transmissions are set up to counter rotate and that the left shaft turns counter clockwise so the LH prop would go on the Port side and the right hand shaft would go clockwise so the starboard prop would be the RH prop. This would mean the props spin outward rather than inward. I also read that these transmissions are the same and you change the direction by switching the cable though I woulds like to confirm this. I have ordered manuals but they have not arrived. Thanks Joe

Hello Everyone, I have recently purchased a 30' Cape Dory with twin TAMD 41B engines and MS4A transmissions. I need to install the props and while embarrassed to say I do not know which prop goes where. I am assuming that the transmissions are set up to counter rotate and that the left shaft turns counter clockwise so the LH prop would go on the Port side and the right hand shaft would go clockwise so the starboard prop would be the RH prop. This would mean the props spin outward rather than inward. I also read that these transmissions are the same and you change the direction by switching the cable though I woulds like to confirm this. I have ordered manuals but they have not arrived. Thanks Joe

Since you haven't gotten a better answer, why not turn each engine over with the starter (while in forward gear and see which way the shafts rotate? Then look at the props to make sure they will be pushing water behind the boat.

Last edited:
Since you haven't gotten a better answer, why not turn each engine over with the starter (while in forward gear and see which way the shafts rotate? Then look at the props to make sure they will be pushing water behind the boat.

Thanks and that might be my best option. I was thinking maybe someone might of had the same setup but I guess not. Joe

"why not turn each engine over with the starter (while in forward gear and see which way the shafts rotate?"

You may have to bypass the neutral safety switch.

"why not turn each engine over with the starter (while in forward gear and see which way the shafts rotate?"

You may have to bypass the neutral safety switch.

Or not. My boat has none although my previous gasoline powered boats did have such a switch.

I will be down there early Sat am and see if I can do exactly that and will report back after my results. Thanks

I also read that these transmissions are the same and you change the direction by switching the cable though I woulds like to confirm this. I have ordered manuals but they have not arrived. Thanks Joe

I am 99% sure that you are correct. Those transmissions are based on the Volvo 270/280 outdrives and may be run in either direction.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

In my experience with boats the prop turns up towards the center of the boat. This gives the boat lift, if they rotate down from the center is will suck the boat down. This applies to boats that plane but perhaps the same for your vessel. I don't know off hand which direction mine turn. My advice has been known to be wrong more often than it is right so using that logic they turn down from the center. Being that I'm wrong most of the time and make stuff up the remainder of the time I would probably disregard my post and read the one above or below it. Thanks Paul

Convention is: Stdb engine turns right, that prop is normally marked R or RH. Port engine turns left and that prop is marked L or LH.

John

I think thats what swampu said before he added all the extra bits covering his bass, lol

On my boat with tmd 41As and MS4A boxes, looking from the real. starbord turns CW and port turns CCW

For a twin screw vessel, should the propeller rotation be inboard or outboard?

Twin engine boats typically have a right hand propeller on the starboard engine and a left hand propeller on the port engine. So, when viewed from the stern forward, the propeller rotations would be outboard looking at the tops of the propellers.

Resources // Michigan Wheel Marine

Back
Top Bottom