The ultimate trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
only complaint I would have is the slip fees because of her length

If you want a long range fuel efficient boat they tend to be long and narrow with a low center of gravity. High slip fees is not a big priority. However, eing the Eagle is long and narrow the square ft is more fair if there are two boats next to each other. The wider boat should have to pay more. :thumb:

The boat described is some what close to my idea and what your boat and the Eagle sort of are. The narrow beam is a must to have a low air draft and a center of gravity. However, it sounds like you want a boat that can cross and ocean and due the canals/water ways? 2000 to 2500 gallon of fuels is more than enough to cross an ocean. Plus large tanks suck, as either the fuel does no get used/turned and/or the space could be used for other things. For example storage to cloths and shoes. ;)

I agree on the flat bottom to stand up is a must. I emailed Kraten to see if he was going to be at the Anacortes Trawler Fest. He look at the 58 and he thinks the Eagle would heel but not roll over as the bottom is relative flat and other have said the same thing. But I am sort of planning on grounding the Eagle again. Happen once will probable happen again. :eek:

Sails on a trawler also interested me. Some brands offer as an option, more for increase range and maybe get home. The 58 originally had a forward mast, and one 58 added longer masts and sails. Last I heard it was down in Panama Canal area. Anyway, I had a local rigor look at it, but the cost of 20 to 30 grand was not worth it to be added to a Dock Queen. :D:facepalm:

Serious cruising vessel, for sure.

I checked out this boat at TrawlerFest. NICE! But, $375k? Wow.

I checked out this boat at TrawlerFest. NICE! But, $375k? Wow.

Hey, we were at Trawlerfest too and saw the same boat. Nice boat, but agree on price - that's what we call an "awfully proud" owner.

Did you see that Florida riverboat with the flat bottom? Looked like a house. Not supposed to tip over, but heard that they have.

Did you see that Florida riverboat with the flat bottom? Looked like a house. Not supposed to tip over, but heard that they have.

Well, almost no boats are supposed to turn over, some have, up to and including 290m long cruise ships. No vessel is immune from capsize. Some Coast Guard and Pilot vessels are designed to survive capsize, but it's not easy or simple.

Due to their great beam the Florida Bay Coasters designed by Jay Benford will have greater than average stability at low angles. The boat will not heel as you move around on deck, unlike most average production cruisers. It takes a lot more force to heel a FBC one degree than the average production cruiser. Thus they can safely carry a great deal more windage in the form of superstructure.

With one of those I just wouldn't go out of the calm water.
Just my opinion.
May as well buy a waterside condo.
Benn

Exceptional boats by an exceptional designer...

Read up on Benfords' designs and ideas before you think that boat is unstable....

Tad Roberts said it well...

I'd rather be on a FBC in the slop than most of the production boats I've driven/rode... including my own.

Sigh. Haven't we done this before recently? The FBC that did sink had a loose 8D battery in the steering compartment come loose and move it's shaft seal faces allowing a large ingress of water.

The root cause of the sinking had not much to do with it's stability curve. It was a lesson in free surface effect.

Here is the curve of a 45' coaster done with an inclining test. Has your boat had an inclining test? Do you know it's righting arm?

Attachments

• Stabilitycurvesmall.jpg
    Stabilitycurvesmall.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I didn't say they were unstable, I said they were fugly. I went aboard one at trawler fest. It would make a very nice live aboard, but I'd be scared to leave the harbor if there were whitecaps outside the breakwater. I don't like their flat bottoms and I think they would pound if they were caught in heavy seas. There are just not on my short list of boats I'd want to own.

I'd prefer a V-bow in open waters.

img_147841_0_ff1dade8a963411a9ec2473452201044.jpg

not flat bottomed where it needs to be...definitely different looking but exceptionally well designed for it's purpose...

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,304
"The FBC that did sink had a loose 8D battery in the steering compartment come loose and move it's shaft seal faces allowing a large ingress of water."

Usually its simply a failure of the rubber that allows far more water to enter than most boats pumping system can not remove.

These seals are probably the most dangerous item on most boats .

Not at this TF, but I have been on "Water Lily" at other TF's. There is a tremendous amount of room aboard, that's for sure. It would be easy to live aboard one of these vessels. I understand that the science says these are stable boats. But when you're standing on "Water Lilly" and thinking about being out in some wicked, choppy water your gut tells you something else.

Two comments:

1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one think that the FBCs are pretty cool and "shippy" looking.

2) Stability and comfort are two different things. I spent my wasted youth working on a 36 foot landing craft on Hudson Bay. Stable? Yes, absolutely. You could load on a small bulldozer with no problem. Comfortable? Not so much. In a blow it would yank the snot right out of your nose.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

I would think the flat bottom and the weight would cause concern in rough seas as the flat bottom and weight would make the boat have a very high initial stability, no rocking/rolling. A high initial stability would cause a boat to remain flat allowing wave to break on/over the boat, and with the low free board and windows, waves would tend to flood the boat if hatches/door/windows where open and/or the seals failed. It would ride like a 2 X 6 board with the water washing on/over it and be very snappy/jerky which would cause things to come loose and move around. Might be the reason for the batteries came loose. :confused:

Being a dock queen, I love the living space as a live aboard. :thumb: Just think of all the cloths and shoes you could have. :facepalm: Its very important to understand the two stabilities, initial and ultra. Also realize that stabilization does not change the stability of the boat. Stabilization change the comfort/ride. If the stabilization fails you are left with the boats stability. That is very important to understand! :thumb:

The important thing is the owner knows and understands the capability and limitations of their boat. Remember initially, GG primary was a blue water coastal potentially ocean crossing boat, and a live a board secondary. Not a good choice for GG. Besides it's even uglier than the Eagle! :eek:

Pilgrim consideration

When we were down to our final four mono-hull choices, the Willard 40 and Hatteras 42 LRC were our west-coast choices (supposing we were sent to LA or SF), and the Krogen Manatee 36 or Pilgrim 40 on the east coast. Our next posting ended up being Miami, so....

So the Pilgrim 40 was one of your 4 'finalist' . What did you like or dislike about these vessels?

But in some place

only complaint I would have is the slip fees because of her length

The price of the travel lift was not based on the lenght but on the volume or weight :thumb:

Mainly on the volume ...because it is written on the boat papers, and the weight not .

in this case my boat became a uldb :D

So the Pilgrim 40 was one of your 4 'finalist' . What did you like or dislike about these vessels?

The Pilgrim had steps down to very decent maintenance spaces, and a much better genset access than the Manatee. Main Engine access to the Manatee is pretty much the same.....by removing floorboards (once done, access is very good) and has a small hatch in the galley for the generator space, where the generator sits athwart-ships and clogs access to things like the waste tank and non-service side of the genset. Adding coolant and getting into the relay box is also a real pain on the Manatee. This is bad enough that I've actually cut a new hatch in the veranda and will be installing the Manatee genset in a roomy new space just aft and below the salon doors. Both boats have full keels but the Manatee wins the draft contest at only 3'2". Cubic space of the interior is probably about the same, but the Pilgrim offers another head (not sure if this feature is on all 40's). They both have huge boat-decks and upper helm areas, but again, the Pilgrim offers a lower helm and the Manatee does not. The two stateroom versions of either are also a toss up for space and convenience, but the forward space of the fat beamed Manatee wins the single stateroom contest. The Pilgrim is a nicely styled boat and the Manatee is stylistically challenged by its function over form, full beam lower spaces. The side decks of the Pilgrim offer great dockside flexibility but narrow the interior spaces and there are a few up-down steps to get used to. The Manatee is a more convenient single- level boat for the salon, galley, head and stateroom. Economy is probably too close to matter. If I were moving up in size in the same character of vessel, I'd probably be looking for a 43 Pilgrim cuz there are no bigger Manatees. They are both very special, sea-worthy, durable designs that would probably find a market if they were built today. My two cents.

Last edited:
Is basically a supersized Garcia GT54

78' 8" LOA, 19' 8" MB, all aluminium

twin Volvo IPS 900, 5500G fuel capacity

downstairs there will be an full height engineroom, Lazarette with workshop and a living area with a huge stateroom with a tub in the "bathroom", and good size cabins for the kids and another reasonable sized stateroom for guests.

In the middle of these there will be a room with plenty of sqm for the kids to play and stairs to the salon upstairs.

Upstairs there will be a large lounge for eating / watching TV / playing games. FULL size galley with lots of fridge and freezer space, dishwasher huge stowe im the chef and i love to cook!

The Helm will of course have ALL the gadgets and they will be brand spanking new.

Up top there will be a flybridge with a generous party space behind. The flybridge will have a roof in aluminium no bimini top for me it will be covered in solarpanels.
All the decks will be covered in teak:)

The twin keels will offer good protection for the Pods aswell as to make the boat beachable

If one only had 5-6 million bucks;-)

Last edited:
Wade,
I like your list.
Henry

Not at this TF, but I have been on "Water Lily" at other TF's. There is a tremendous amount of room aboard, that's for sure. It would be easy to live aboard one of these vessels. I understand that the science says these are stable boats. But when you're standing on "Water Lilly" and thinking about being out in some wicked, choppy water your gut tells you something else.

I'd love to be aboard Water Lily....and I've asked to be when I'm in the area. Gut or not, I love the boat. A rough seas vessel it isn't, but......

Wade,
I like your list.
Henry

Henry......easy for you to say......you've got most of those specs. The engine room on the N-series makes me swoon. I was fortunate enough to be aboard all the models, coincidentally present when I visited Green Cove Springs. Your model is awesome.....too much for me to even think about in so many ways, not the least of which is $$$$. We've got a Krogen Member who just traded his 39 for an N-47. Enough room for a copter on the foredeck.

Back
Top Bottom