Mast Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
Making plans to replace my heavy wooden mast with something lighter (aluminum). It will only be used for a 4ft open array radar, gps ant., an lights (no boom). So maybe 14ft. or less; as long as the gear is above my 7ft. bimini. All suggestions welcome. Oh, I'm in covered slip (low roof) so it will have to be hinged (no guy wires).

Hi,

I sent you a PM with a link to pictures of my folding alum mast project. Hope you find something of use there.

Lot’s of ways to skin this cat.

I found the mast I wanted in a sailboat marina. Most sailboat yards have broken masts, but they are often too big visually and too heavy.

Keep looking.

I designed in the gas/hydraulic shock to make lowering and raising the mast a one hand operation. I’ve seen too many DeFever owners struggle with “A frame” structures and a hour of work to lower the mast.

I wanted to come up to a drawbridge and just push the mast down.

It works very well, and didn’t cost a lot. Keep in mind that I had to retain the ability to lift my 130 lb. Avon RIB and the Yamaha 100 lb. engine.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike, Could you post a link to the pictures? I would be interested in seeing them. I'm kinda in the same boat. Thanks.

David

No guy wires means a pin end mount , about the highest load ant mast can envision.

Hi Mike,
I also have a DeFever 40 and would be very interested in pictures of your mast replacement project.

Thanks,
Jim Mason
1974 DeFever Passagemaker

Come-on Mike:::::all of us are interested in your project. Post the photos here so we can learn. I'm also doing the change-over to a swinging davit and putting the electronics on the mast, but I'm looking for a way to make it a bit more stylish to go with the sleek and streamlined lines of my graceful craft.

I am looking for a picture too. My new boat has an ugly squared tube for a mast and I want to replace with a sailboat mast and boom. I was planning to guy wire it, with a set of spreaders to open up the area under the mast for a pair of kayaks. I was thinking radome mounted up there somewhere... Maybe an AIS antenna

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom