Pocket inverters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unbelievable...go back and read post #10...then the string of my posts.

I KNOW what inverters are for and how they work...I'm just trying to figure out how the DC end of things is different so how Lithium ION batteries are charged "BETTER" by a pure sine wave converter as sated in post #10.

"True Sine converters are the ticket for charging Lithium Ion batteries"...

I think the DC output is just the same so why the statement by AKDoug

It is unbelievable :) AC comes either true sine or modified sine, everything coming out of a wall socket is true sine. The equipment used to charge a battery or operate a power supply is designed for (normal) pure sine power. It is the equipment that handles the power conversion that is damaged by modified sine. The computers that tell your battery charger how much to put in, how fast, and tell it when it is done charging, that can be damaged by modified sine. Everything has a computer in it anymore, that's why they call them smart chargers... It is better for charging the batteries because the charging equipment was designed for it. Modified sine is like cheap gas, it works, but has issues down the road.

It is unbelievable :) AC comes either true sine or modified sine, everything coming out of a wall socket is true sine. The equipment used to charge a battery or operate a power supply is designed for (normal) pure sine power. It is the equipment that handles the power conversion that is damaged by modified sine. The computers that tell your battery charger how much to put in, how fast, and tell it when it is done charging, that can be damaged by modified sine. Everything has a computer in it anymore, that's why they call them smart chargers... It is better for charging the batteries because the charging equipment was designed for it. Modified sine is like cheap gas, it works, but has issues down the road.

No modified sine inverter has ever hurt any laptop that I know of and dozens of my friends and hundreds of boaters I deal with never had an issue either....seems like the power cords handle it fine producing plain old DC for the lithium batteries in the laptop.

I have to say it again...I KNOW what comes out of an inverter...I was from the very first ONLY focused on your statement ...

""True Sine converters are the ticket for charging Lithium Ion batteries"...

Just how are they the ticket?????? if they ALL produce plain old DC?

And most of us know that computerized cars now handle "cheap gas" just fine...even better than in the old days.

Do what you want. It would pay to read the fine print on your electronic equipment so that you don't damage it or void your warranties. Batteries and chargers are different than they used to be. The bottom line is that modified sine is a cheap imitation of the power your equipment was designed to operate on. It is available only as a means to reduce the cost of manufacturing an Inverter.

Unbelievable...go back and read post #10...then the string of my posts.

I KNOW what inverters are for and how they work...I'm just trying to figure out how the DC end of things is different so how Lithium ION batteries are charged "BETTER" by a pure sine wave converter as sated in post #10.

"True Sine converters are the ticket for charging Lithium Ion batteries"...

I think the DC output is just the same so why the statement by AKDoug

Here is an unadulterated quote from post 10.

"Many electronic charging devices will only work properly with a true sine wave inverter. Many of the small cheap inverters are modified sine wave and may not work well with your computer."

Either you're misquoting OC Diver from post 10 or OC Diver changed his post. He does not mention "True Sine converters are the ticket for charging Lithium Ion batteries"... Where are you getting this?

There is no such thing as a true sine converter...except maybe in your imagination.:D

Here is an unadulterated quote from post 10.

"Many electronic charging devices will only work properly with a true sine wave inverter. Many of the small cheap inverters are modified sine wave and may not work well with your computer."

Either you're misquoting OC Diver from post 10 or OC Diver changed his post. He does not mention "True Sine converters are the ticket for charging Lithium Ion batteries"... Where are you getting this?

There is no such thing as a true sine converter...except maybe in your imagination.:D
Sorry...AK post #16...

............ The equipment used to charge a battery or operate a power supply is designed for (normal) pure sine power.............

Allow me to make one small correction to that statement and we may be able to end this argument.

"The equipment used to charge a battery or operate a power supply MAY be designed for (normal) pure sine power"

How's that?

Back
Top Bottom