What is the Boat in the Picture on the Top of this Website?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trekker

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kispiox
Vessel Make
mercury 430 Ocean Runner
Anybody got an answer for that?

Selene as Peter said. Nice boat, made in the PRC, albeit with stupid wannabe windows in the pilothouse. If they'd fix that they'd have a pretty decent-looking boat. Not as nice as a deFever 46 or a Fleming 55 or an Alaskan 49 but okay looking nevertheless.

Last edited:
I love this site. Ask a question....get an answer quick. Very cool of You Folks. Love the passion You guys have for this!

"PRC" China?

Selene as Peter said. Nice boat, made in the PRC, albeit with stupid wannabe windows in the pilothouse.

Marin,
You need to learn not to mask how you really feel !

Personally I wouldn't the bridge on a trawler I expected to use at night without those windows

HOLLYWOOD

I like those stupid wannabee windows in Florida as there is less sun coming into the pilothouse, and less need of sun shades on the outside of the windows when you are at the dock. Plus there is more room to mount electronics in a display above the helm.

:popcorn:

Right On Tucker. My 50' Cherubini Independence trawler has them and your reasons are correct. At 10 knots I am not worried about aerodynamic air flow.

Wannabe windows are functional, no question, for boats that truly need the benefits.

But in our opinions they are butt-ugly and totally destroy the aesthetcs of any boat that has them. And as we are not interested in operating a butt-ugly boat, we will never have a boat with them.

For recreational cruising, at least in the daytime, they offer zero advantage that we can see unless your pilothouse is so cramped that you have no choice but to mount instruments overhead. In which case we would never buy that boat, either, for that reason.

We have no glare issues at all with our "normal" forward windows but perhaps that's because American Marine intelligently designed a nice looking flying bridge overhang to take care of that.

All this is strictly my opinion of course. Beauty or aesthetics is totally in the eye of the beholder. But when I see a boat with wannabe windows, particulary a recreational boat, my immediate reaction is "boy, they sure screwed that design up," and I instantly dismiss that boat as not being worth looking at anymore. It becomes a "non boat" to me. :)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...and it's easier to see when it's snowing...

Done that "wannabee" discussion a couple of times before. This time decided (hopefully) to just observe and enjoy.

Hard to have a fiery argument when you have the fuel on 'ignore' ;)

Can't resist. ... Don't you just hate forward-leaning, wannabee pilothouse windows? Well, it's function over style.

img_147370_0_9d1f83b7cb2e753e5827d628775d4994.jpg

Last edited:
If nothing else, I always thought fwd sloped windows would be better at night with interior light reflections.

the forward raked windows work for us...

Attachments

• 130315 Anacortes.jpg
    130315 Anacortes.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 104
Wannabe windows are functional, no question, for boats that truly need the benefits.

But in our opinions they are butt-ugly and totally destroy the aesthetcs of any boat that has them. And as we are not interested in operating a butt-ugly boat, we will never have a boat with them.

For recreational cruising, at least in the daytime, they offer zero advantage that we can see unless your pilothouse is so cramped that you have no choice but to mount instruments overhead. In which case we would never buy that boat, either, for that reason.

We have no glare issues at all with our "normal" forward windows but perhaps that's because American Marine intelligently designed a nice looking flying bridge overhang to take care of that.

All this is strictly my opinion of course. Beauty or aesthetics is totally in the eye of the beholder. But when I see a boat with wannabe windows, particulary a recreational boat, my immediate reaction is "boy, they sure screwed that design up," and I instantly dismiss that boat as not being worth looking at anymore. It becomes a "non boat" to me. :)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hey Marin...what if Tony Fleming called you one day and offered you a prototype Fleming 55 at a really great price, but the one thing he had changed was that it had foward sloping front windscreens because he now felt that was better for a true ocean going motor yacht...?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom