Pocket inverters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean

I have installed navigation software on my laptop nowI need info on the best small inverter to run the computer I was thinking about one that plugs into a cigarette or assessory receptacle.
Suggestions on size Mfg. etc are welcome
Thanks Bert

I have installed navigation software on my laptop nowI need info on the best small inverter to run the computer I was thinking about one that plugs into a cigarette or assessory receptacle.
Thanks Bert

There is a thread on inverters Bert, http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/inverter-sizeing-9497.html?highlight=INVERTER

You may want to rethink about just sizing one for the electronics and think about what other items you may want to run from one without starting the generator eg microwave, tv, kettle etc.

I had a 400 watt that wouldn't power my old IBM laptop - today's laptops are undoubtedly more efficient. The cig plug models only come in limited power and that can be reduced by poor connections or small existing wiring. Personally, I'd opt for a small hardwired unit.

image-394092629.jpg

$60 at Flying J trucks top. Plugs into a cigarette lighter. 2 outlets plus a USB adapter. Works fine, no complaints.

I wouldn't try running high output appliances with it, but that's not what the OP asked for either.

Google Powerstream Technologies. They have 12v DC converters for almost everything made-they generally cost around $25-70$ and will power your laptop off your 12V DC supply.

As a side note-many LED TVs (Sharp for one) actually run off 12VDC, the 120VAC-12Vdc converter is in the cabinet. You can rewire TVs to run directly off your 12V DC supply.

I would start by finding the power (in watts) required by the computer and buying an inverter capable of providing at least 20% more than that. Buy it from a store that will let you return it if your laptop won't run on it.

A better plan - See if the computer manufacturer makes an adapter or power supply for your computer that allows it to run on 12 volts DC.

I have a small inverter that came with the boat to power the laptop and phone chargers. It's silent (no fan), plugs into my 12V 3-outlet power panel and works great!

I may rewire to provide my main inverter power to that fwd counter, but until then, I wouldn't be without it since my main inverter only powers one counter at the aft port corner of the salon.

Many electronic charging devices will only work properly with a true sine wave inverter. Many of the small cheap inverters are modified sine wave and may not work well with your computer.

Ted

Thanks Bert

Having used primarily non-true sine wave inverters now for almost 2 decades...all I can say is almost everything I ever plugged into one worked...maybe not great but good enough.

As the years went by, their performance improved so almost everything worked like it was plugged into the house and any brand inverter seemed to work and last like all the rest.

In the beginning electronics were the most sensitive and some microwave/inverter combinations...now hardly ever a probem.

Laptops run usually have no difficulties with cheap inverters because of the way their battery/power cords are set up.

My laptop and other fairly large ones have worked just fine off my now 10 year old Xantex 300 Watt unit. I would go with a "right sized" unit as some now are not much bigger than the cigarette lighter cord plug or cupholder size and very convenitent. Look to see on your power cord how many AC amps it draws and multiply by 15 or a little higher to get the watts for the inverter.

Last edited:
We have used both a DC/DC converter and a cheap small cig. lighter inverter to run our laptop for (back-up) navigation underway. Both work fine on 3 different lap tops. The converter avoids the need to have the laptop brick in the circuit.

Forget the inverter, even the small ones are very inefficient for the use you want. Get a DC to DC converter and it will work fine. They can be had for around $30.00 and be used for other items since they can be adjusted for voltage. Chuck

Like these, High Reliability Auto to Laptop DC/DC Converter, 12 volts nominal input, 16, 18, 19, 20 or 24 volts DC output

Looks like a good solution....are input plugs on the computer common configuration these days (or are there adapters available)? Also, I noticed output is 16V on all the units listed in your link...would that be an issue for the typical computer?

My last ad this Dell is 19.5V at 3.34amps AC. Girlfriends Dell is 19.5V at 4.62 amps.

from what I've read 19 or 20 volt converters would work and some have said (hard to believe) that they will work on 12V but I'm asuming that is just delaying the drawdown of the battery....

True Sine converters are the ticket for charging Lithium Ion batteries. Battery technologies are evolving and the battery manufacturers specifically state that true sine is required for proper charging. I am not saying they won't charge, I am just saying the manufacturer won't warranty their batteries if they find out you used a modified sine converter. I really like doing things the right way the first time, it usually cost less in the long run.

So then I guess a modified sine would produce a different kind of dc?

The technical information you are looking for is probably in the information from every manufacturer of Inverters. I would go to a site like Magnum and read... Better from the source :)

I'd like to know what kind of DC power it pumps out that would be incompatible...voltage? amperage? pulsing?

I understand the diff between sine and modified sine..but how is the DC charge different? I went to the Maguim site and read around but never saw anything that was realated..mostly all AC stuff.

The purpose of an Inverter is to change DC voltage into usable AC voltage, the difference is in how the AC current is presented to the device. That is the difference between modified sine and true sine AC voltage. DC current is always DC current, only the voltage varies, there is no sine wave in DC. The device receiving the AC current is the variable...

True Sine converters are the ticket for charging Lithium Ion batteries. Battery technologies are evolving and the battery manufacturers specifically state that true sine is required for proper charging................

That's just wrong. Batteries require DC current for charging. It doesn't matter how it got to be DC.

The charging unit or power supply cares what kind of current it receives. If it was designed for AC most people would rather use an inverter than to make a DC to DC charging unit. The battery is charged from AC converted to DC (in the charger) and discharges as DC. The battery charger is designed for AC and cares what kind of AC sine wave it receives. We are talking about using things from shore where AC is readily available (as true sine) and taking them to sea where it is not.

OK...I'll ask again...what type of DC current is put out of a Modified Sine Wave Inverter/Charger?

Is it pulsed? Variable? What? How is it different than DC from a Pure Sine Wave Inverter /Charger/

No DC current comes out of an inverter. AC current is created by the inverter from DC power so that appliances designed to operate on AC can be used off of a battery bank. A modified sine inverter is an inexpensive alternative to proper AC sine wave power. Some appliances will not like operating on a modified sine since they were designed for on shore wall plug power (true sine). AC is converted back into DC when a battery charger for items like power tools are charged. It is a loss of efficiency, but you get to use things from the house on your boat. Which is the point.

There is no sine in DC, it is a part of AC power, only.

There is no sine in DC, it is a part of AC power, only.

This is your post #10

True Sine converters are the ticket for charging Lithium Ion batteries. Battery technologies are evolving and the battery manufacturers specifically state that true sine is required for proper charging. I am not saying they won't charge, I am just saying the manufacturer won't warranty their batteries if they find out you used a modified sine converter. I really like doing things the right way the first time, it usually cost less in the long run.

I lost track and was thinking a inverter/charger you were talking about.

I see you said converter...OK...so how is the DC from a sine wave converter different from a modified sine converter when charging Lithium Ion Batteries?

You are thinking too hard, it is really simple. DC goes into the Inverter from your batteries and makes one of two kinds of AC, either pure sine or modified sine. This is primarily a function of the cost of building an Inverter and the end purpose of the power dictates whether you should spend more for pure sine. The chargers are all designed for pure sine, that is all you can get out of an outlet on shore. Modified sine is not what modern electronics are designed for, more so all of the time. The electronics in the power supplies for chargers and other items are more and more of an issue.

The charger may damage the batteries, the charger electronics may be damaged and damage the batteries or the charger. Modified sine is a cheap imitation of what things are designed to operate on.

I see you said converter...OK...so how is the DC from a sine wave converter different from a modified sine converter when charging Lithium Ion Batteries?

Inverter=DC in, AC out.
Shore Power Charger=AC in, DC out
Converter=DC in, DC out.

There is no sine wave associated with DC.

What is this DC sine wave converter you speak of?

Back
Top Bottom