Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Pau Hana
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
When we bought our most recent boat, some quotes were double others, so the company will also make a big difference. As others have said, no experience owning a boat, even a smaller one, may make it even more difficult to find coverage. Only Boat US would insure our 31 foot sailboat when we first bought it, even though we had owned several boats under 20 ft. prior to it, and I had experience working and operating a friend's towboat (just under 30 ft.). In sum, too many variables, but I'd say it will be much less than 5k.
True words you speak! Although I'll disagree that getting you coverage on your sail boat wouldn't have been difficult- it's a simple matter of getting the "rest of story" so underwriters have a clear picture of your ownership and operational experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
$5000 a year is a LOT!!! But that may be what it takes for the conditions you are presenting. Many insurance companies will want the boat out of there during hurricane season. If you leave it and want it insured, you will pay dearly.
Again, sage words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya mon View Post
I have no ownership background unfortunately
Not the kiss of death with regards to getting insurance- but the desire to leave the vessel in St Maarten year round might be. The above gents may be correct in that your yearly premium may be sub $5k, but for your purposes that may very well be a good figure to use for planning purposes (assuming you'll have to have a hired skipper, hired boatwatch while the vessel in in St. Maarten unattended by you, the desire to keep the Tolly in a hurricane prone area, etc).

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote