Heat Exchanger Hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstauffer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenus
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
I am getting ready to clean/repair/replace the heat exchangers on my Detroit 8.2 diesel's. While doing this I want to replace the hoses on both sides of the HX (raw water side and coolant side). I was thinking about using Trident's Sereis 100/250 for this. The hose sizes vary from 1" to 2-1/4" with the larger hoses making quick 90 degree bends. Does anyone have any recommendations on what hoses are best? Is there a hose that will work on both the raw water side and the coolant side?

Thanks

Is there a Detroit dealer nearby that might have the larger elbow hoses in stock? I have used the usual wire reinforced hoses on my 8.2's without any problems. Actually, I believe mine are due for changeout this June. Thanks for the reminder

If there are tight bends, I think using manufacturer supplied hoses would be the best plan.

Go to the NAPA store or industrial hose supply house (check Bremerton). They'll have all sorts of preformed hoses that will likely fit the service admirably. You can cut them to fit. Get the ones that maintain the diameter throughout the radius. Make sure you use wire reinforced ones on the suction side.

I acutally stopped by the NAPA dealer yesterday and they said I could bring my hoses in and they would cut the straight lengths for me and they would probably have the elbows in stock and all I would have to do is cut them to the proper length. I am also going to call Pacific Power in Tachoma to see if they have the larger tight bend hoses from the HX in stock.

Thanks guys.

I acutally stopped by the NAPA dealer yesterday and they said I could bring my hoses in and they would cut the straight lengths for me and they would probably have the elbows in stock and all I would have to do is cut them to the proper length. I am also going to call Pacific Power in Tachoma to see if they have the larger tight bend hoses from the HX in stock.

Thanks guys.

Johnson and Towers (one of the companies that marinized the engine) used to carry hose kits...

Back
Top Bottom