135 HP Perkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valerie H.

All,

Experiencing minor corrosion on the Exhaust Manifold of an 135 HP Perkins (6.354.4).

Any thoughts on minor repairs in this situation as we source out a credible used manifold?

Thanks in advance.

Valerie

Two pack plasticine type epoxy putty worked a treat on exhaust elbows while I waited for new ones. I blended the 2 parts using a dinner fork. It sets in the presence of/even under water.

Define "minor"

First off, Welcome aboard Valerie but I am like boatpoker, if you only have minor corrosion why would you want to replace the manifold?? If you have a hole in it which requires repair, not minor, then BruceK's idea is likely best. If there is truly minor corrosion can you not clean it up and repaint with a heat resistant paint. Definitely more info or pictures needed to get a good answer to your question.

I appreciate the timely response from you all.

I am happy I came across this group!

I am working on grabbing some pics to further determine the extent of damage (I am in Alberta helping Dad out in NL).

From what I know so far, it will have to be replaced in the near future. He took the outer wrapping off to do a check and portions of the manifold are corroded.

I will pass along pics today.

Again, thank you all for your, much appreciated, response.

I am working on grabbing some pics to further determine the extent of damage (I am in Alberta helping Dad out in NL).

From what I know so far, it will have to be replaced in the near future. He took the outer wrapping off to do a check and portions of the manifold are corroded.

I love the white dress what I can see of it! :smitten:So there must be some meaning for the avatar? :thumb:

Manifolds usually rust from the inside out, which means it should be taken off to evaluate, but pictures would help.:flowers:

Last edited:

If "lightly" corroded, I'd patch, but if you think you'll replace anyway, the part is around USD $750. Might be other sites that are cheaper. Good luck!

Perkins Exhaust Manifolds | 6.354 Engines | T6.354 | 6.3544

If your water cooled exhaust manifold begins leaking water into the engine, serious problems will result. Replace with new and have no worries for the next decade or two.

For some real sad stories, talk to those who have suffered Perkins manicooler failures with water entering #6 cylinder.

ON the manifold...or IN the manifold?

If your manifold is the older, cast iron, type (not the all in one aluminum tank / exchanger/ manifold) you can easly convert the existing manifold to fresh water cooling as I did 10 years ago. Then you can forget ever having a problem with it or seawater leaking into your engine and get quicker engine warmups as a bonus.

Look at EJ Bowman website, they mad all the coolers for Prekins and they have "stockists" in the US. Transcool in NJ is one I have used.

Brooksie - As it turns out, your solution is what worked. The make is cast iron so Dad has replaced it without having to reach deep into his pockets for a larger purchase. This was his first issue with this trusted engine, so I think he got a little nervous as the Season opens this week for Crabbing,

You all have been excellent in providing useful information. I have passed along my Unser name and PW to my Dad as I know he would love to engage with you knowledgable people in the future.

Many Thanks !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom