Internet Access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrader

For you cruisers out there, Verizon now offers a WI-FI that you can purchase for your trawler* that allows up to 5 computers to connect to at the same time.* It has worked for me from Pensacola to Fort Myers and all up the East Coast.* It is real fast!

Has anyone tried the Cricket*broadband service? Its $40 a month, quite a bit cheaper than all the others! Just curious if the service is good or bad....

The problem with Cricket is that there are lots of places it does not have coverage. Chuck

We traded our Verizon air card for their MIFI six months ago, and am very pleased. The reception on the MIFI is actually better then an air card.

FYI, for those with an iPhone, you can use that to connect to the Internet at G3 speeds for free (if you have an unlimited data plan).* Works the same as an aircard, MIFI or otherwise.

Delfin wrote:

FYI, for those with an iPhone, you can use that to connect to the Internet at G3 speeds for free (if you have an unlimited data plan).* Works the same as an aircard, MIFI or otherwise.

You can do that with most smart phones with pdanet.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 25th of March 2010 09:53:08 PM

Thanks Mike. I was looking at this to use with a netbook (still don't have one of those yet either) We seem to be in the only marina on the east coast that doesn't have free wi-fi.

Gonzo, get ya a netbook...you will not regret it. I have an ASUS Eee PC....the people that stated it. Goes everywher with me. For some reason, the screen seems brighter than most laptops. Anyway, mine lives in my overnight bag with a neoprene cover and it gets beat on pretty good and so far has held up well.

Was there a commitment to a service provider? I've seen a couple, like Toshiba, that are only about $250, but you are signing a 2-year agreement with Verizon. Can it be coupled with phone service?

You can buy a netbook outright. That is how it started. The whole phone service thing was just a market that the phone providers saw and they pounced on it. All it is is a netbook with a particular provider's phone card built in. I would highly recommend you buy the netbook of your choice and if you want to connect....the aircard of your choice(or tether your smartphone via the software I provided above).

I will backtrack a bit. A netbook is just a small stripped down cheap computer. It has nothing to do with cellphone companies. It's main purpose is for basic netsurfing and extreme portability....has nothing to do with connectivity. Again, the phone companies saw an opportunity and they took it.

So if you want a small very portable cheap computer, get you a netbook(I would highly recommend ASUS). If you want connectivity thru that netbook, get you a phone card thru your provider of choice. If you want a more fully functioning computer, get a standard laptop. And get connectivity thru an aircard if you want.....or tether thru your smartphone.

It just seemed that you thought netbooks were synonymous with connectivity....and they are not and have nothing to do with it other than provide a smaller more portable platform for air cards and "marketing bundles".

Can a netbook run a chart program in a pinch or should I go back to a small laptop plan?

GonzoF1 wrote:

Can a netbook run a chart program in a pinch or should I go back to a small laptop plan?
They could EASILY run a chart program!!!

How many of you run the satellite HD/TV? This would also give you internet access.

I noticed most are $1800-$2500 on average for about 4 different services at a min or do you just plug in at the marina?

For folks that cruise , rather than houseboat in a marina , internet is pretty simple.

Loads of folks in the US and Canada leave unsecured networks to be used by all.

Have the lap top on while passing the nice homes and its free and common as dirt.

I dunno FF. More and more folks are securing their networks. I think nowadays the unsecured wi-fi network is more the exception than the rule. I love my Verizon card at $60/month. Always works. Only one remote location exception down in Port O'Connor, TX. But heck, you can't even get TV there over the air!

April Passage Maker talks about Netbooks being used with a $99 version of Coastal Explorer Express Edition on page 40. It says that you can be in the complete navigation business now for about $500 including the GPS.

I agree Doc...I use my netbook more than any computer I own....it is plenty capable.

Back
Top Bottom