Holding tank hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If PVC pipe was to be used on the long straight run, and rubber hose used at tank & head ends. What type of fitting is used between the hose and the PVC pipe? thinking this maybe the way to go in the future. Thanks Mike

Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc. carry large gray barb fittings that are threaded on one end or double barbed.

Folks that dont pump out enough frequently suffer tanks with hard deposits that dont leave.

The RV solution ids to empty the tank , install 20-30 lbs of ice cubes and go for a ride.

Easy with a 3 inch RV toilet feed that drops straight down.

But funneling cubes into a 2 inch hose might be workable on some boats.

Good luck , mowing down the "Standing Soldiers".

If PVC pipe was to be used on the long straight run, and rubber hose used at tank & head ends. What type of fitting is used between the hose and the PVC pipe? thinking this maybe the way to go in the future. Thanks Mike

Check swimming pool stores too. They use a lot of these fittings on spas.

The marine sanitation store we use in Seattle sells connector fittings to join 1.5" ID PVC to 1.5" ID hose. You can get them at marine suppliers, too, like Fisheries Supply, All our sanitation runs are PVC with super heavy duty sanitation hose (black) for the gradual bends and connections. I've managed to forget what the hose is called but it's the stuff Peggie Hall recommended as the most permeation-resistant hose on the planet. Not Cheap.

Peggie Hall promoted Trident Sani Shield Sanitation hose. Number 101 is black and number 102 is white. Peggie invented the wheel with marine sanitation and I didn't want to reinvent it so I chose Trident #102. The hose is expensive but it was something I didn't want to repeat for a while.

Heat also makes child's play of installing tight-fitting new hose on fittings along with the use of Lemon Joy detergent.

A tip from my professional ship pipe fitter friend: he taught me to use KY Jelly instead of soap. The problem is that soap will remain slippery, but KY is basically sugar (glycerine) and hardens up pretty quickly.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Dip the ends in a mug of hot black coffee for 2 minutes once this is done the coffee is cool enough to drink and the hose soft enough to fit on the fitting. :D:D

A tip from my professional ship pipe fitter friend: he taught me to use KY Jelly instead of soap. The problem is that soap will remain slippery, but KY is basically sugar (glycerine) and hardens up pretty quickly.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

We replaced the entire system on the sailboat. Found a little heat worked best for removal (that or slice the hose lengthwise, but be careful not to cut the fitting). For reinstall, Petty Hall recommends against heat as it can hurt the hose - something about the odor permiability. Stuff is expensive, and I didn't want to do it again, so followed her advice. We found the easiest way to reinstall the hose without heat was to stretch the ends slightly with an exhaust/tailpipe spreader. The tool is available at almost any autoparts store and very inexpensive. Once you stretch it slightly and remove the spreader, quickly putt it on the fitting, as it will shrink back to normal size pretty quickly. Only other piece of advice is to double clamp all the fittings.

I'm a little late to the party and Mike has probably already finished his project. Just wanted to say the captain and I did this job together shortly after we got the boat and it was surprisingly not that bad. We put ziplock bags on the ends of the hoses (well taped). I like the glove idea.

If you have ever picked up after a dog with mushy poo you have dealt with way worse than you are going to encounter removing your holding tank. flush flush flush the system before you start though!

-the admiral

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

As I mentioned above, there is a product made specifically for lubricating hoses when installing them. Your professional ship pipe fitter friend may not be aware of it. I don't think hardening is necessarily good in this application.

It looks like West Marine is now carrying such and adapter. It appears to be way overpriced so a search of home centers might pay off.

Back
Top Bottom