Thread: Solar Panels
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Tom, totally agree with you if you have an AC powered galley and appliances, etc and therefore automatically have a diesel genny, but there are some who don't have much if any AC stuff, and love not having to run the engine or genny, and that is the attraction of solar and wind power. If you have a wee bit of a green bent it also appeals to be able to use renewable (and free) energy. Solar is totally silent and modern wind gens are pretty quiet, especially to other boats at the usual anchor distance, and for the owner, hearing the quiet whine advertising free amps going in is quite satisfying. Having missed that this Easter because of a temporary breakdown of my wind gen because of a wire loose I only found today, I can tell you it really teed me off not having it going, but the solar panels still kept pace with the frig, and most lights are now LEDs on our boat, so the batts were ok. However if it had been winter - different matter. it is powering a 12v frig 24/7 which means one has to have something other than large batts and engine charge.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote