Wet Exhaust Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The hose barb on the injection elbow is 2.5". It has two layers of hose on it expanding to 3" which runs along the bilge through lockers in the aft cabin to FRP mufflers and then uphill (about a 3 or 4 inch rise) to the transom (I took the hose off the elbow last weekend so was able to accurately measure). The problem is that there is a low spot in the hose runs at the base of the engines that collects water. When I look down into the hose, the pooled water is only about 10 inches below the exhaust manifold, too close for comfort IMHO. I don't really have room for waterlifts unless I put them in the keel which would require lengthy hose runs. I've been trying to figure out a way to get the injection elbow higher so I can have a proper slope to the transom. I looked at making something using stainless plumbing elbows but haven't found any in 2.5". Probably will need to have something fabricated.

Dry stack and keel coolers would be great but I don't have that kind of cash ?

I noticed someone had routed the exhaust through the side of the boat. That would make the run really short but is it really advisable?

BTW I bought the boat in 2005 in San Diego. As far as I know it hasn't ever spent time in L.A.

Rocks,

Here is what my 4.236 looks like on the port engine and the exhaust hose in the aft stateroom. You can see I have a slight dip as well. I need to look at the date stamp on the hose but I but it is every bit of 15 years old. The PO had her for 11 years as well. I figure for here in the bay it will stay as installed.
One other note the Surveyor did not like that the water injection on this engine was at the 3 o'clock position not the 12 o'clock like the stbd engine had.

BTW I bought the boat in 2005 in San Diego. As far as I know it hasn't ever spent time in L.A.

Attachments

• DSCN1640.jpg
    DSCN1640.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Port engine.jpg
    Port engine.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 125
Now I understand. Can you use a solid pipe? I've seen that in a few boats and they seem to be quieter too. I think they were FRP. Not sure but were made for exhaust and heat.

Now I understand. Can you use a solid pipe? I've seen that in a few boats and they seem to be quieter too. I think they were FRP. Not sure but were made for exhaust and heat.

My boat has new steel exhaust pipe with about ten inches of exhaust hose where it connects to stainless steel through hulls. About twenty inches of hose where it connects to the manifolds.

The Coot's exhaust system, showing insulated exhaust pipe from engine to a black "can" (muffler) and then pipe to outside.

img_146120_0_2aa0521d6dae56b262616c6af971a269.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom