Cruise to Broken Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Doriana recently cruised in company, 22nm up the coast to Broken Bay and the associated Hawkesbury river." Navigation": exit Sydney Heads into the Pacific, turn left to the North, avoid Long Reef (a well charted "long reef" at 90 degrees to the coast), turn left at Barrenjoey headland to enter Broken Bay.
Sea state going up was 2-4m swells, 1m wind waves. We made the trip in between 2 quite nasty weather systems. The swell, largely due to an expiring cyclone in the Pacific centered on Lord Howe Island, curtailed most beach and shore activity with warnings issued. Doriana coped fine, there was a good period,10 seconds+, between swells.
The first night was spent on an SEM (someone else`s mooring)at Coasters Retreat aka "The Basin" at the National Park. After that we moored or anchored in various bays inside the National Park area. Typically these are relatively narrow fingers of water named after creeks feeding into them,almost fjord like, often 15-20 metres deep, with a rocky steeply rising treed shore, so a National Parks provided mooring is a plus. Sea eagles and hawks are often seen, also turtles, and stingrays are in the shallows. Several bays have fresh waterfalls for showering. Large fast monitor lizards,often 1 M + long are seen onshore.
After the Basin,we spent nights,and days, at Refuge Bay, Pinta Bay (off Jerusalem Bay), Snapper Rock Bay (off Smiths Creek), Castle Lagoon (off Yeomans Bay) where we anchored on the faithful Sarca, Akuna Bay, on the Marina, and last night back at The Basin. There were other boats around, but we had Pinta Bay, and Snapper Bay (so nice we stayed 2 nights) to ourselves. Both shallow to sand flats to explore at low tide, fresh water could be had from a stream in Snapper. Dinner for 8, with plenty of wine, alternated between 4 boats.
The return trip saw calm conditions. Unusually, we sighted a shark cruising north. We logged on, and off, with Marine Rescue Sydney for the run up and back.
Key to the photos:
1. Boats at Coasters Retreat/ the Basin
2. Entering Smiths Creek (opens out to port)
3.Doriana moored in Snapper Rock Bay
4. Exiting Smiths Creek
5. Ugliest boat seen all week
6. Looking shoreward return trip
Photos will be uploaded in 2 sets of 3.

Attachments

• DSC_1304.jpg
    DSC_1304.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_1329.jpg
    DSC_1329.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_1331.jpg
    DSC_1331.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Second tranche of photos, described in post #1.

Attachments

• DSC_1336.jpg
    DSC_1336.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_1316.jpg
    DSC_1316.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_1352.jpg
    DSC_1352.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 148
Nice photos Bruce.

I'm about to shake off the cobwebs of a couple of months in northern Europe, grab a T-Shirt and shorts, and head up in the same direction. The water still seems to have the summer warmth, so I'm looking forward to some swimming and BBQ's off the stern.

Speaking of sharks, I have occasionally seen some small Hammer Heads on late after noon cruising in Pittwater on my way round West Head, I always wonder if momma is nearby.

A couple more shots of the Basin.

Attachments

• boat @ basin 004.jpg
    boat @ basin 004.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 147
  • 230.jpg
    230.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 142
  • 228.jpg
    228.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Thanks Andy. Water temp was great, try it after the Easter crowds disperse. I`m now shopping for a basic sit on kayak, tried one, liked it. More toys.
Research says bull sharks move between Sydney and the north coast. Shark researchers on Sydney Harbour found more nasty bull sharks to tag than they wanted.

What kind of Kayak are you looking at? I'm thinking the same thing for Sarawana, just need somewhere out of the way to stow it.

Bull sharks, now there're a worry, however I have been told that there has never been a recorded shark attack in Pittwater. Not sure I believe that though.

You guys have some beautiful water for cruising down there. Please post more pictures guys.

Sent by Craig from my iPhone using Trawler

Both BCF and Anaconda have basic polypropylene sit on 2.6M ones for $299, then you need a paddle, and a backrest or you get sore, another $ 160. We tried the Anaconda ones, comfortable, stable, quick easy right away, weighed about 23kg, the BCFs are lighter,around 18kg. I need to go take a look, but both are online.
I had a 3metre one onboard, it was harder to load and store than I expected, put it on a side walkway, I`m hoping it might sit cross ways on the flybridge behind the helm.
I suppose as a Moderator(?) I should report thread creep. Perhaps not. I thought of starting a "Toys" thread.
Your Basin shots are good. The moorings don`t seem to be as messed up this year.

Well, if you insist :)

Attachments

• 215.jpg
    215.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 244.jpg
    244.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 262.jpg
    262.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 146
Craig, some more location shots, plus one of a cormorant with fish,needs zooming to see the fish he struggled to swallow,whole. We were too surprised to snap the shark we saw on the return trip.
Incredibly, this area is only 25-30 miles or so from the center of the city so it is popular, Easter there would be boats everywhere.
That`s Lion Island in AndyG`s shots 2&3, see the resemblance? It guards the entrance to Broken Bay, from offshore.

Attachments

• DSC_1312.jpg
    DSC_1312.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_1313.jpg
    DSC_1313.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_1317.jpg
    DSC_1317.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_1334.jpg
    DSC_1334.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Bruce: "I had a 3metre one onboard, it was harder to load and store than I expected, put it on a side walkway, I`m hoping it might sit cross ways on the flybridge behind the helm."

We used to put our previous kayak on the walkway of our old Clipper34', it played havoc with the paintwork on the cabin sides, not to mention the varnish on the hand rails. Also it also closes off one side of the boat so effectively the boat no longer had a walk around deck, which is one of the joys of a trawler style boat.

I still have the Kayak, but cannot see where it could live on board.From memory it was about 22-24 kilos, a bit too heavy for me to lift clear of the rails, without using the rail as a pivot. I do miss a Kayak though. I looked at the Booker Bay inflatable Kayaks at the boat show, a double was about $1,100 delivered, the single about $800. Maybe I could get it a bit cheaper from the States.(So as not to raise the ire of any lurking mod's, present company excepted, I will post another couple of pictures :rolleyes:)

Attachments

• 254.jpg
    254.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 148
I looked at the Booker Bay inflatable Kayaks at the boat show, a double was about $1,100 delivered, the single about $800. Maybe I could get it a bit cheaper from the States.
Doubles are called "divorce boats" by kayak tour/hire companies.
With inflatables, you want to explore the shoreline and shallows,but there are rocks,oysters (yum) etc. The new poly kayaks already had marks. Anaconda has a $700 kayak in two halves which clip together. Someone I know bought one, no reports yet, carry half in each hand, easy to store, carry in the car/auto, even the boot/trunk. It has an optional center extension for a double.
Pic shows yellow kayak towed by yacht/sailboat cruising Broken Bay.

Attachments

• DSC_1338.jpg
    DSC_1338.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom