Shopping for Used Electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope to re-do the electronics on my boat in the next year or two.

One huge factor would be charts. I'm really tired of paying every year for updated charts that I can download from NOAA for free every week. If I am forced to stick with a proprietary format, I'd probably stay with C-Map only because I'm already set up to use them from my previous boat.

Any company that made a MFD that could use downloaded charts would immediately gain me as a customer.

The second factor would be how it connects to different input devices.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to move one MFD between the upper & lower helm. In theory I could buy one twice as nice if I didn't need to buy 2. That makes me wonder if Ethernet-based radar is really available yet or if that's still just talk.

Not positive....but I thought the Simrad/Lowrance 3G/4G radat used eiternet cable with their RADAR...if so running an extension cable shouldn't be a big deal.

The point is there are many radars under a grand , brand new.

No sense in chasing a 30 year old take out , regardless of its low price.

The Garmin units listed above need to be hooked into an existing Garmin network, they do not include a screen or controller

I hope to re-do the electronics on my boat in the next year or two.

One huge factor would be charts. I'm really tired of paying every year for updated charts that I can download from NOAA for free every week. If I am forced to stick with a proprietary format, I'd probably stay with C-Map only because I'm already set up to use them from my previous boat.

Any company that made a MFD that could use downloaded charts would immediately gain me as a customer.

The second factor would be how it connects to different input devices.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to move one MFD between the upper & lower helm. In theory I could buy one twice as nice if I didn't need to buy 2. That makes me wonder if Ethernet-based radar is really available yet or if that's still just talk.

Unless it was small, slogging an MFD from helm to helm would get kinda tiresome. Many have a VGA out for connection to a monitor, and also some form of wireless remote control. The fancy new ones allow wi fi relay to an iPad.. Simrad and Raymarine are particularly slick in this regard. So you could have a dummy monitor and/or tablet, in the pilot house say, and control the main unit from there.

Navionics, at least, includes free updates for at least a year to their chips. I haven't looked at this feature on other brands, but I suspect most plotter mfrs are offering something similar as you are right, it can be a huge expense, Garmin is the worst on that score.

Last edited:
.............. I'm really tired of paying every year for updated charts that I can download from NOAA for free every week. ...........

There's little to be gained by buying new electronic charts if the actual charts they are derived from haven't been updated.

I don't know about the other manufacturers but with Garmin, I can see the dates of the actual charts in an update. If they haven't changed, I don't buy the update.

In an ideal world, we would be able to push a button on our plotters and download up to the minute navigational charts over the Internet. I don't see that happening soon though.

There's little to be gained by buying new electronic charts if the actual charts they are derived from haven't been updated.

I don't know about the other manufacturers but with Garmin, I can see the dates of the actual charts in an update. If they haven't changed, I don't buy the update.

In an ideal world, we would be able to push a button on our plotters and download up to the minute navigational charts over the Internet. I don't see that happening soon though.

My guess is someone is doing it now, given that there is a lot of wi-fi capability being provided and chart companies like Navionics offer up to the minute updates via the internet.

My guess is someone is doing it now, given that there is a lot of wi-fi capability being provided and chart companies like Navionics offer up to the minute updates via the internet.
It's possible, but if they are, they are keeping it a secret. That would be a good marketing tool, provided the system was at least equal to other systems on the market.

I'm pretty sure NOAA sends out patches weekly for raster scan....they also talk about updating the charts too...so if you download them...at least some of the info is pretty fresh...

Raster Navigational Charts: NOAA RNCs

An example of what I was talking about above, the latest charts show areas near my marina that haven't been updated for thirty years or so. At least for that area, there's no point in updating electronic charts until someone comes out and checks the depths, etc. again.

There's more than depths involved. Nav aids change position, get added/deleted, obstructions get found or created and so on. Read the LNM any given week and that will give you a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom