87' Mainship Series 3 Repower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MOWMONEY

Mainship repower with Yanmar LS6. Need to know basic info such as Transmission, Engine mounts, fuel lines and angles to which all of the above need in accordance to the space limitations we currently have in this boat.

Last edited:
I know of a couple of Mainship I repowers with 6 cyl Yanmars, but I don't know what engine models they were. If you are askking if it will fit, I would say yes for sure. The boat has a 5 degree shaft angle which you can measure for yourself. You may end up having a nose down engine, but that's fine if done correctly, many/most of the old Mainship repowers end up nose down.
Depending on horsepower you may need to upsize fuel lines, exhaust, and water intake and prop shaft. I assume you're replacing an 8.2 Detroit?
I did a repower of a 78 model I which is the same hull. I used a Cummins 6BTA and that fit no problem, but everything I mentioned had to be upsized.

I would think very carefully about the cost v/s the resulting value of the boat. Get an outside opinion like a recomended broker. And ask the broker what kind of boat you could get for that expenditure. Or look for a good used engine.

Back
Top Bottom