Underwater Search and Recover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwidman

Guru
Davey Jones has collected several items from me behind my boat (in the slip). Binoculars, chairs, dinnerware, etc. Other friends have lost fishing equipment and other things.

I fashioned a large weighted hook on a line and managed to recover a few tings, but it got me to thinking about something with lights and a waterproof camera that might make recovering items in 8' - 15' of water possible.

Any ideas that wouldn't break the bank? It could be on a long pole so it wouldn't need power or remote steering.

Why not try a big magnet on a piece of rope?

Drag it around and see what you find.

In my experience the more expensive the object the more likely it is to go overboard.

I once plugged in a belt sander and then heard it march over the side.

Mike

Last edited:
Why not try a big magnet on a piece of rope?

Drag it around and see what you find.

In my experience the more expensive the object the more likely it is to go overboard.

I once plugged in a belt sander and then heard it march over the side.

Mike

I've had one for years. The problem is, most of what goes over is not magnetic.

Tidal currents are another problem. When something goes off the boat or dock, it can move up or downriver before it hits the bottom.

I keep a grappling hook and large magnet on hand. We also have scuba gear onboard, and just go over the side as an alternative.

Thanks, that's someplace to start. Before I invest $300, I would like to know how far I can see in the murky water we have around here. I'll look for some reviews or manufacturer's web pages.

The cheap ones are only $150 or so and will find stuff.. I sold dozens back when SeaView cameras first came out around 2001. I used tham quite a few times to find stuff but generally you have to be so close to the object that you cover as much ground, maybe quicker with a crab net (if the underwater vis is better than 5 feet...the cameras start to gain advantage)

I'm thinking just a cheap camera in a watertight casing plugged into my flatscreen already on board...those peanut cameras are less than $50 bucks now.

I keep a grappling hook and large magnet on hand. We also have scuba gear onboard, and just go over the side as an alternative.
I have the magnet and hook in my dockbox but it's rare that either does the job. I'm not a diver so that's out.

This thread reminds me of an old joke that I heard when I was in the Navy.

Two guys were in the latrine, one sailor and one Marine. After relieving themselves in the urinal, the Marine started to wash his hands while the sailor just started walking out the door. The marine yelled at the sailor: "In the Marines they teach us to wash our hands after we pee!" The sailor yelled back: "In the navy, they teach us not to pee on our hands!"

I've been taught to "not drop anything over the side." :blush::blush::blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom