What do you use for Generating AC/DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not fab up some brackets and belt drive it off the main engine, very popular in Europe, you can spin it all the time or magnetic clutch, you will nead a hertz meter for the proper rpm. Craig
That system was available in the USA. I heard about a couple Camanos that had it installed. Rather than running at a certain speed to get 60 Hz, it was an inverter system similar to the popular Honda portables.

I corresponded with a guy who was willing to sell me a system but in the end, I decided not to go with it. Installation is somewhat complicated what with the brackets and belts.

Fire trucks and such use that system to provide electricity at fire and accident scenes.

I had a cruising generator tied to my port engine. It was a PITA and I was running it when a boat turned in front of me in a channel (sail boat) and I had to make a quick slow down. It never worked after that.

That system was available in the USA. I heard about a couple Camanos that had it installed. Rather than running at a certain speed to get 60 Hz, it was an inverter system similar to the popular Honda portables.

I corresponded with a guy who was willing to sell me a system but in the end, I decided not to go with it. Installation is somewhat complicated what with the brackets and belts.

Fire trucks and such use that system to provide electricity at fire and accident scenes.

The Eagle has a cruise gen set, which is an option of many small sail/power boats. I believe they are an option for the trolls/tugs that come with the air conditioing option.

In time we will see the diesel noisemaker folks copy the modern Honda style units.

A diesel engine with variable speed and generator or alternator will be hooked to an inverter and pure AC , that can even feed a big battery charger will be the result.

Low noise from low RPM with light house loading will not be harmful as the load on the diesel will be matched to its HP curve.

Only takes purchasers to demand (and pay for) the more efficient units.

Were I home brewing a setup, a used Yanmar or Kubota twin with remote start can be had from the truck reefer overhaul places at $400-500 depending on condition.

A 12V 220A bus alternator or a 24V 300A bus alt would be coupled to the engine.Again $500 used.

With a welding throttle (keeps voltage at a set point) and a good true sine wave inverter.

Since most boats will have an inverter the big difference the price of the better inverter.

A n old Trace 2440 will operate 2 modest air cond .

Good hunting,,,

Last edited:
FF, I googled truck refer overhaul and came up with a page of help wanted. Looks like that is one position needed in this economy.

I have the generator and frame with the marinized pieces and if i could come up with an engine I could probably come up with a unit.

I might even add a 12V alternator to it too. I think it would be easier to charge the batteries from that than an AC charger. I have a smart regulator.

How do I find those used diesel engines?

"How do I find those used diesel engines?"

"Were I home brewing a setup, a used Yanmar or Kubota twin with remote start can be had from the truck reefer overhaul places at $400-500 depending on condition."

Find the local big truck reefer repair shop .

Was back at Northern Tool yesterday. They still have these for sale at my store.

IMAG1803

I'm not sure I'd call 71dB @ 23 feet "silent"

I'm not sure I'd call 71dB @ 23 feet "silent"

Sit that on your deck or bridge and you'll send sound waves a long way over the water, but it is quieter than what I have at the moment.

There aren't any Northern Tool stores in So Cal.

Al, that chart is a bit deceptive. The decibel scale is shown as arithmetic; however, the relationship among decibels is logarithmic. For example, a lawnmower's 80 decibels is much more than four times louder than a whisper's 20 decibels. The chart's distances between the decibels should increase the higher the decibel to reflect the loudness of the sound.

You're right, Mark, but it illustrates the dB level well. IIRC, an increase of 10dB is double the sound level. In other words, 40 dB is twice as loud as 30dB.

EDIT: This site says 6dB doubles the amplitude, 10dB doubles the perceived loudness.

Twice, two fold, and a doubling . . .
Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be felt by a level difference of 10 dB − acousticians say. Doubling the sound pressure (voltage) corresponds to a measured level change of 6 dB.
Doubling of acoustic power (sound intensity) corresponds to a calculated level change of 3 dB.

+3 dB = twice the power (Power respectively intensity − mostly calculated)
+6 dB = twice the amplitude (Voltage respectively sound pressure − mostly measured)
10 dB = twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (Loudness nearly sensed − psychoacoustics)

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Last edited:
When I was standing in front of 32 speakers and playing through 700 Watts RMS of tube power that was sending it as 2 OHMs to the speaker boxes, it would shake the stage and you could feel it in your feet. I used to say I could take the starch out of my clothes.

The drummer had 12 cymbals and 11 drums. The guitarist had Marshall stacks that were so loud it could cut through you. I experienced loud.

I just don't want it coming from a generator.

I can attest to phasor, they make great generators! We have a 3.5kw with sound shield in our camano, it's very quiet and just hums. We had one problem not really to do with the generator but, it would blow the capacitor so we had to move outside of the sound shield, but you probably won't have that problem unless your installing it in tight space like we had (lazzerette). I'll try to find you a pic.

"3480-3780 RPM gen operating speed" seems a tad higher than I operate my engine at.

Thats why the preferred engine RPM is matched to the gen head with a set of belts .

No problem sizing a belt/pulley setup for a 1200 or 1800 RPM engine .

Since the Gen set was working , just the engine died , the local truck reefer shop will have fine running takeouts for $300-$500 .

These are uaually Kubota or Yannmar and will have huge oil pans to operate un inspected for 10 days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom