Petaluma River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is where everyone is different. I couldn't imagine using a television on a boat unless full time cruising or living aboard. As shown in my avatar, I have better things to view over the stern.

On Ray's Mahalo Moi last weekend in Petaluma, his television/antennae picked up a total of ten channels. Eight were in foreign languages!

When I was on the Napa River last month, I found a sweet spot along Milton Rd. that allowed me to receive both Sacramento and Bay area stations. There must have been 40 or more including the foreign language, cartoons and bible thumpers, no exaggeration. As soon as I moved just a short distance south to light 8, we lost the Sacto stations. The reason I know? I was fishing near light 8 the day the killer LA cop was cornered in Big Bear. I had a retired LE officer on board who was keenly interested in the latest developments.

A power-boosted TV antenna can make a big difference.

A power-boosted TV antenna can make a big difference.

Al: What make and model do you have? I never had any success with my Shakespear antenna years ago.

That Coot, she sure is photogenic. How long did that attempted pass take? :D

Ray's MM was going about 6.5 knots, and in attempting to pass, I went full-displacement-speed throttle (7.3 knots) nearly reaching abeam the MM (shown in a previous photo). But once Ray "woke up," he sped up and reached the Mare Island Strait entrance about 20 minutes (2+ miles) ahead of Coot.

It's difficult to keep adrenalin flowing at 8.5 kts...

Last edited:
Looking over the bow satisfies my sense/need of speed.

img_145243_0_f205119e91c1705bab47bb87c552acdb.jpg

Catching up with Mahalo Moi (but not for long) with Mt. Diablo in background.

232323232%7Ffp54397%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D393%3A53%3A%3B56336nu0mrj

Al: What make and model do you have? I never had any success with my Shakespear antenna years ago.

Not sure. I'll have to look up next time I'm on the boat. It looks pretty old though. Almost like an older version of this. It's 12V powered, but I can't find a switch or CB to depower it, so it's always on.

Attachments

• boat antenna.jpg
    boat antenna.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 113
Walt, mine is a Shakespear. We've never had a problem with its performance. But, maybe I don't know what I'm missing! I do know one thing...last week it only picked up one channel in English and about eight or nine in Spanish!

Petaluma is a beautiful area. On our first visit to wine county, we stayed at the Sheraton Hotel at the new marina there. Always wondered where the waterways went. Nice tour!

Walt, mine is a Shakespear. We've never had a problem with its performance. But, maybe I don't know what I'm missing! I do know one thing...last week it only picked up one channel in English and about eight or nine in Spanish!

Maybe we can do a side-by-side comparison at the Asparagus Festival! Winner takes all of Mark's IPAs!

Subject to previous consumption!

Vickie stepping over a fender to find out what Ray ran over:

232323232%7Ffp7347%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C68855336nu0mrj

Last edited:
LOL! You've got a few weeks to stock up for the grand prize!

Commercial vessels at the approach to D Street Bridge and the turning basin while we follow Mahalo Moi:

232323232%7Ffp543%3C%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D393%3A385497336nu0mrj

Last edited:
I have to admit to envying you guys & gals up there and your boating sojourns. You all sound like a great bunch of people and the area looks very conducive to fun on the water. Throw in some sturgeon fishing (sitting, waiting & drinking beer) and it doesn't get much better! :popcorn:

Maybe we can do a side-by-side comparison at the Asparagus Festival! Winner takes all of Mark's IPAs!

There's beer...:ermm:

I'll volunteer to be the non biased judge of the reception quality. While bribes would not sway my judgement they are highly recommended. :angel:

I have to admit to envying you guys & gals up there and your boating sojourns. You all sound like a great bunch of people and the area looks very conducive to fun on the water. Throw in some sturgeon fishing (sitting, waiting & drinking beer) and it doesn't get much better! :popcorn:

I'm so grateful that my Grandfather and Dad taught me how to fish!! Now I need that second fridge!

(see signature)

walt bring your boat up here!!!

walt bring your boat up here!!!
Actually, that process has already begun! (One piece at a time.)

My wife doesn't let me stray too far these days as I am really on a crash weight reduction diet. She thinks I have something on the side at our marina but nothing could be farther from the truth. :devil:

We're planning another Petaluma cruise for May 21-23, assuming survival from the late-April asparagus festival in Stockton.

Jennifer, have you noticed how these retired guys (or at least the ones that choose not to work) always cruise during the week so they don't have to share the hot spots with the working stiffs on the weekends?:hide:

Jennifer, your turn will come.

Yeah, weekdays. Fewer crazies (except those Wednesday-evening beer-can races) and hobby fishermen on the water, and guest berths and anchorages are readily available. :D

Last edited:
Jennifer, have you noticed how these retired guys (or at least the ones that choose not to work) always cruise during the week so they don't have to share the hot spots with the working stiffs on the weekends?:hide:
LOL!! If I had your hours, I'd never retire either! :socool:

See you on the weekday Petaluma cruise!! :D

Back
Top Bottom