Split:Music and Water Mix Well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She plays mostly classical right now (she's being flown to Washington, DC next month to be the guest soloist with the symphony there), but she's getting into jazz and the original piece she performed (recording session and on camera) for my Boeing project is rock. She started playing-- on her own, not pushed by her parents-- when she was four. She manages her own career and she is not afraid to speak her mind.

Below are a couple of frames from the video.

image-304817244.jpg

image-1047125482.jpg

Last edited:
Marin, that girl looks 16 going on 24.

I hired the best pair of makeup/hair/wardrobe people in Seattle to work this shoot for me. The video is being made for China and the customer asked that we put the violinist in a red dress. Our wardrobe person brought this one up from LA for the shoot.

When you see her in person she looks 16. But she's one of those people the camera really loves and with the right lighting, hair, and makeup she can look just about any age you want her to. This is the last frame of one of her takes right after I said "cut.". I think there's a bit more of the 16 year old in this one.

image-938951545.jpg

Last edited:
Capthead has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Your Farthest Cruise - in the General Discussion forum of Trawler Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/your-farthest-cruise-9482-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Ron, I was a professional musician also. I toured the US in bands for many years, played concerts and festivals in FL, on the strip in Las Vegas, Crater festival and clubs in Hawaii and The Whiskey A Go Go here in LA.

I play bass, what do you play?

Capthead, I got an email of your post but for some reason it's not displaying in the thread.

I play bass also and sing. Small world!

Capthead has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Your Farthest Cruise - in the General Discussion forum of Trawler Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/your-farthest-cruise-9482-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Ron, I was a professional musician also. I toured the US in bands for many years, played concerts and festivals in FL, on the strip in Las Vegas, Crater festival and clubs in Hawaii and The Whiskey A Go Go here in LA.

I play bass, what do you play?

Capthead, I got an email of your post but for some reason it's not displaying in the thread.

I play bass also and sing. Small world!

The thread has been split. Find the thread "music and water mix well"

I've often looked back and figured that playing music on weekends (after quitting playing full time and starting a career) is the reason I am able to afford a pretty nice boat at this point in my life.

Rob,

Thanks for the compliment and yes my son is the soloist. He is also the first alto in the Southern California High school All Star Jazz band.

We have a very strong middle school band here. Last week, they entered in a high school intermediate category and got third place beating some high school bands. It was in middle school that my son and daughter developed into musicians. They had a teacher that they loved and was a good motivator. They stop by the middle school every now and then to visit their old music teacher and help with the kids.

Mahal,

There is nothing we like better than having a former student come back to visit. Especially those like your children who sound like great role models. I hope your son will consider a career in music be it performance or teaching.

Marin, it is not too hard to switch back and fourth but it does take practice as the embouchure (how you form your mouth on the mouthpiece) is different for each instrument. Clarinet is a little more demanding in that the chin needs to be pointed down and the corners of the mouth back more. Clarinet also has mostly open tone holes that have to be perfectly covered or you get the dreaded squeak. Sax has a more rounded, relaxed embouchure and covered tone holes. My sax colleagues are always ragging me about playing sax like a clarinet. Many of the fingerings are similar esp. in the upper register.

Rob

According to my kids, it was a good thing that they learned to play the clarinet first as adding the saxophone later was easy. Their friends that did it the other way around struggled with the clarinet.

I agree. I think it is easier to go clarinet to sax. That being said, there are plenty of things that are more difficult on sax not the least of which is playing in tune. I know some teachers who require a year of clarinet before a student can play sax. To me, that seems counter productive. Why waste a year learning something you don't really want to play?

Every instrument is different. Some things easy on one will be harder on another.

My retirement goal is to learn to play guitar. As mentioned by several folks above, it will be easy to take on the boat. You also have a greater oppoutunity to play interesting music from classical to blues to rock without needing a group.

Rob

Ron, I made a choice when I was mid 30's and I looked at the older rock musicians that weren't rock stars like myself and went into the business world. I don't know what would have happened if I had kept at it, but I did play with Joe Cocker, Pat Benatar, Eric Burton and a lot of other well known musicians.

I have a very rare bass, it's a 1959 Fender Jazz, and the value is over 40K. I wired it stereo and the record we recorded last year has one pickup left channel the other right channel. It will be the first ever recording made with a split stereo bass.

I also have a new Jazz that I usually play live.

I have a few youtube video's and a webpage on a musicians page. I played soul early on and did an album with "The Soul Searchers" that had local fame in LA. They had a hit single that got in the top 20. Toured with a country star from Hee Haw and quickly learned country was not my thing in many ways. The piano player in that band went on to play with Glenn Campbell and was on his TV show. Might have been a bad choice leaving him.

Lots of stories and as you might know, some not fit to print here.

Cheers!

Ron, I made a choice when I was mid 30's and I looked at the older rock musicians that weren't rock stars like myself and went into the business world. I don't know what would have happened if I had kept at it, but I did play with Joe Cocker, Pat Benatar, Eric Burton and a lot of other well known musicians.

I have a very rare bass, it's a 1959 Fender Jazz, and the value is over 40K. I wired it stereo and the record we recorded last year has one pickup left channel the other right channel. It will be the first ever recording made with a split stereo bass.

I have a few youtube video's and a webpage on a musicians page. I played soul early on and did an album with "The Soul Searchers" that had local fame in LA. They had a hit single that got in the top 20. Toured with a country star from Hee Haw and quickly learned country was not my thing in many ways. The piano player in that band went on to play with Glenn Campbell and was on his TV show. Might have been a bad choice leaving him.

Cheers!

I saw a Joe Cocker concert. That is when I realized how the base and drums could really make the difference in sound. It was awesome. Obviously, Joe Cocker was appreciative of his backup band.

A bit about Cocker. I heard so many stories about him early on. He was not right in the head, didn't know music, etc. That is so far from the truth. He is on top of his game and you better know the song and play it right.

Mahal,

I hope your son will consider a career in music be it performance or teaching.
Rob

Ron, He is and has been accepted to several music programs. Although he will also study advertising as a back-up.

Here's a video of the Socal high school allstar band. These kids don't really know each other as they come from different schools, yet after two practices they sound like they've been together longer. They are conducted by an accomplished trombonist, Francisco Torres, from the Poncho Sanchez group.

Act your age (SCSBOA all-star band '13) - YouTube

That's a great video. Reminds me of my trombone days in high school and college.

Is that your son on the sax solo?

Cheers!
I made my choice at age 29. I played in the house band at one of the major clubs on Washington DC's "strip" in the mid 60s. The Dr. King assassination and ensuing riots pretty much put an end to that. Like you, I looked at the older musicians and decided I would do better putting my electronics schooling to work.

I also had a 50s Fender bass (P bass) but it was stolen from my car behind the club where I worked. I play a Kubicki bass now but I haven't played in a year or so.

I was playing in a passable Country band in MD when I retired and moved to SC. I was the front man and did much of the singing. When I got to SC I found the level of musicianship was much lower than what I was used to. I played for a while in a group until it broke up. I was subbing in another group on bass from time to time when the leader went into the hospital for heart surgery. He asked me to sub for him and sing and play rhythm guitar. He didn't make it through surgery and the band broke up.

In one way. it's a blessing because I can take off in my boat whenever I please. No obligation to be somewhere every Saturday night.

Claim to fame: Our band (in the 60s) was hired to be the Juniors for Danny and the Juniors. After a couple weeks we decided there was no future in it and went back to being ourselves. Danny later killed himself.

I should add, I met all my wives while playing music. ;)

Last edited:
Great story. I loved the women people called groupies.

It's funny the level of musicianship you will find while going across this country. I found there are pockets of great musicians. Tulsa is one of those pockets. Eric Clapton hired a band that was playing in a club in a Safeway parking lot. Leon Russel and Joe Cocker's band too.

Hollywood has so many wannabees that think they are great, it's laughable.

Great story. I loved the women people called groupies.

It's funny the level of musicianship you will find while going across this country. I found there are pockets of great musicians. Tulsa is one of those pockets. Eric Clapton hired a band that was playing in a club in a Safeway parking lot. Leon Russel and Joe Cocker's band too.

Hollywood has so many wannabees that think they are great, it's laughable.

Washington DC was a hotbed of musical talent. Many of the guys playing the DC clubs were from Oklahoma.

Facebook has allowed many of the DC musicians to stay in touch and I see where many of my old friends are still playing. The difference is, they play because they have to. I play because I want to. I have a great retirement from my career and also some investment money.

I wouldn't advise anybody to try to make a career out of playing music. It's a good part time side job and it can be a lot of fun, but doing it full time, you'll most likely find yourself at age 65 living in a rented place, driving a used car, and having to take any job you can find just to put food on the table.

During the summer on Thursday night they have music by the water. An assortment of bands and type of music. Several hundred people attend. The Eagle is moored close enough we can enjoy/hear from the front deck. Usually family/friends drop in, and occasional we will wander to people watch and people dancing. They also have bands Sunday during the Farmer Market held in the same location.

Since we are right in front we have hundred of people gouging at us, and many times we show people the boat. However they only see the good life, not the hundred of hours it takes to have a few days of the good life.:socool: :facepalm:

I agree totally. The piano player that went on to play with Glen Campbell made over 300K on the song "I love My Truck" that can happen but only to the lucky few.

I found the genera of music has different pay. Country for example usually pays the singer, say 12,000 for the gig. He takes expenses off the top and then pays the band 3 or 400 each and keeps the rest.

Rock usually splits even after expenses with a few exceptions. Eddie Van Halen would play the bass tracks and not use Michael Anthony in the studio. This was after their first three albums. He had to learn the bass parts and perform them live. Studio work is divided also. Writers get a share and musicians get some but sometimes are only paid studio time. Anthony learned this and there became a tiff in the band. Now EVH's son plays bass and he isn't that good. Greed always destroys things.

Another band like that is Jethro Tull. Ian Anderson took almost all the money.

I only played in one country band as a result of the splits and didn't find it fair for me. But, nobody can name a famous country bass player and when you get down to bass parts there are probably only ten and those fit almost all country songs, drum parts too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom