View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
Max Simmons
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Max does your PU actually have an hourmeter? Did you install it? Sounds like you must have done a lot if idling.

Yes, it came with an hour meter. I think this equates to an average of around 27 MPH. Lots of time spent in Seattle running between construction sites.

Growing up with gas engined boats, our 1967 31' Trojan had twin ford 302's I believe and we got roughly 1,200 hours out of them before re-building. Next boat was a 1976 36' Trojan, twin Mercs based on 350 block. One lasted 1,400 hours before replacemen and the other was still running when we sold it with a little over 1,500 hrs. It was going through oil quite a bit. My Dad always said that running these motors compared to driving over the pass with a full load and your foot to the floor.
Lately helping a friend find an outboard runabout, it seems that the boat with hour meters or mention them in ads have less than 500 or so hours. I don't recall seeing one listed as 1,200 hours, thus wondering what the life expectancy of outboards.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote