Maybe this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread is really funny! The bias is unmistakable.

Will you guys be happy with anything GG buys but a big ancient defever or like styled boat?

The coasters are big boxy boats.

The well respected designer posted stability stability information online, and I linked to that information.

Meatsea talked with the designer about the boat, its travels and the design.

When is good enough, good enough?

Geez cant these gals ever win one with the crowd? :banghead:

Last edited:
Hey GG, I'm definitely a picky guy, an I have ALWAYS loved the Coasters. In fact, if there had been one for sale at the time I was looking, I would have seriously considered it. Far from ugly, I think they look pretty darn good, in their own way.

To all the naysayers, they are perfectly stable. Not comfortable, but stable. And fuel burn, for the average owner, is a negligible part of the overall expense of owning a boat.

GG, go, have a look, and see what you think.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

...GG, go, have a look, and see what you think.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

There's nothing like actually looking at the prospects, but I though one had to look at ten boats or more to find :smitten: and that the surveyor :socool: says looks OK. Maybe you will be lucky and find the perfect boat right away :dance: or maybe not :cry:we shall see.

@ Sunchaser;
So, what exactly are you saying, because it was built in
Guatemala it must be a cheesy build???

From GG & my experience in the world of home construction, development,
the Guatemalan craftsmen, laborers we use, there have been many,
are hard, conscientous workers & skilled craftsmen who do 2 mandays
labor to other's one.
Don't forget, you are not talking to a gal who decorates homes,
but a gal who builds them, not one or 2, but 1 or 200......

With all due respect,
Can you please expand on that comment, maybe you have some insight
we would need, after all we are not boat builders....

There is a warning sign, look beyond the curtains GG.

We have been going on about fuel consumption and miles per gallon; however, these calculations do not take into consideration a dirty bottom and propeller that takes more fuel, and current and wind which can increase or decrease fuel use. What's the true miles per gallon? Is there going to be enough fuel? If this device Maretron : Marine Electronic Instruments is used with GPS that shows speed over ground, then a person knows what their true miles per gallon is and whether they can make their chosen port.
I should also mention that the same information can be had from propeller curves. If you have a Detroit diesel; though, I have not been able to find anything. If the boat builder has tables for burn rate, that would also cover it.

Having just finished a coastal navigation course also causes me to think about burn rates and speed over ground, how far can you go.

Last edited:
This thread is really funny! The bias is unmistakable.

Will you guys be happy with anything GG buys but a big ancient defever or like styled boat?

The coasters are big boxy boats.

The well respected designer posted stability stability information online, and I linked to that information.

Meatsea talked with the designer about the boat, its travels and the design.

When is good enough, good enough?

Geez cant these gals ever win one with the crowd? :banghead:

Good enough will only be when the girls agree with every subject matter "expert" here- and not before... but, you know that :facepalm:

This thread has quickly devolved into an exercise of analysis paralysis.

Well, I think they listened and probable learned a lot as they have gone from primary must be able to cross oceans and a live aboard as secondary. To live aboard primary and might be able to crossing ocean secondary. :socool: What you start out thinking you want and what you end up buying many times can be quite different. :flowers:

Now they have to match the boat, slip and marina to be a live aboard as its not just the boat! :thumb: Hopfully they will start a new discussion as this disussion has run its course. :horse:

Well, I think they listened and probable learned a lot as they have gone from primary must be able to cross oceans and a live aboard as secondary. To live aboard primary and might be able to crossing ocean secondary. :socool: What you start out thinking you want and what you end up buying many times can be quite different. :flowers:

Now they have to match the boat, slip and marina to be a live aboard as its not just the boat! :thumb: Hopfully they will start a new discussion as this disussion has run its course. :horse:

They have to look a boats and maybe Florida has nothing for them, there's still the whole world to research in that case for a boat. After the boat purchase, we can think about outfitting the boat, and then what they need to do to get educated about handling the boat themselves, without their friend with the 100 ton license. We have barely started.

Good enough will only be when the girls agree with every subject matter "expert" here- and not before... but, you know that :facepalm:

This thread has quickly devolved into an exercise of analysis paralysis.

Yes, at work we call it "round table syndrome"

Three people can come to a consensus

Six people will never come to an agreement over anything except when to schedule the next meeting to further discuss the issue.

I think something like this coaster solves allot of issues for GG and meatsea.

It fits their space requirements, that is something they cannot change. This is living aboard, not recreational boating.

Being a coastal cruiser it puts them in a situation where they can learn how to handle the boat themselves, without the need to a full time captain.

They could build skills on short cruises in calm waters then transition as they see fit to longer distance cruising.

Hey GG, I'm definitely a picky guy, an I have ALWAYS loved the Coasters. In fact, if there had been one for sale at the time I was looking, I would have seriously considered it. Far from ugly, I think they look pretty darn good, in their own way.

To all the naysayers, they are perfectly stable. Not comfortable, but stable. And fuel burn, for the average owner, is a negligible part of the overall expense of owning a boat.

GG, go, have a look, and see what you think.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
The 60 Florida Bay Coaster weighs 140,000 pounds! Half the weight must be ballast. I was looking at the stability curves and wondering how they did it until I thought about the weight. So it uses a little more fuel because it rides lower in the water from the weight, but a good trade off I think. Compare this with a the weight of a Cheoy Lee 66 LRC at 87,000 pounds.

Last edited:
Planet Yacht - 80' Broward CPMY
80' aluminum, Fort Myers FL, $ 449,000, two 12V71 Detroits

Planet Yacht - 77' 1974 Broward MY- Motivated Owner
77' Aluminium, Fort Lauderdale FL , $ 529,000, two 12V71 Detroits

Planet Yacht - 66' 1980 Sea Ranger Trawler
66' 1980 Sea Ranger Trawler,fiberglass, Costa Blanca, Spain $632,566 two Detroits

Did a little more research. The Broward boats are semi-displacement hull that can be run at displacement speeds if the Detroit Diesels are opened up for a hour every eight hours. The hull can have blisters from aluminum corrosion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom