Spring is here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Ah, Maine..."The Way Life Should Be" (State slogan).

12" of snow and I had put the snowblower away. It'll melt. It's Spring.

Attachments

• Maine.jpg
    Maine.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 258
What a winter it's been, another 16" yesterday, I have to shovel it today, O my aching back!!.

David you've got a fine boat. Turn it until the lubber line points at the big S and come down for a visit.

All I care about it getting warm enough so I can un-winterize the new boat and bring it back up to Maine!

I'm in a state of denial. Snow? What snow? No, that was just 14" of FLURRIES!

David you've got a fine boat. Turn it until the lubber line points at the big S and come down for a visit.

He has what I consider to be the finest 32' trawler there is but his compass only points from 270=> N => 090 degrees. There's no "S" on it. :blush:

Last edited:
In the 50s here in the lower Columbia River valley with all the trees blooming and leaves popping out.

image-4190779252.jpg This picture says it all!!!!

He has what I consider to be the finest 32' trawler there is but his compass only points from 270=> N => 090 degrees. There's no "S" on it. :blush:

But...but, I thought (and still think) that Seahorse II is the finest 32. Or did you mean IG/GC 32's in general?

Good maneuvering by the 35yr old captain to get into port at Port-aux-Basques today.

Attachments

• Port-aux-Basques Mar 22 :13.jpg
    Port-aux-Basques Mar 22 :13.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 104
About 78-80 today, short pants, tee shirt, flip flops. Pool still way to cold to swim in, will winter ever end?

Good maneuvering by the 35yr old captain to get into port at Port-aux-Basques today.

We took the ferry from Port-aux-Basques to North Sydney on our way back from Newfoundland. Maybe some day I'll be able to take that trip in my own boat.

Can't wait to see a bird other that a seagull.

Attachments

• First Spring robin.jpg
    First Spring robin.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 88
These geese along the banks of the Petaluma River, enjoying the 70-degree weather this last Saturday, didn't appear to be in a hurry to travel north.

232323232%7Ffp54372%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D393%3A4%3B763%3B336nu0mrj

How much global warming can one stand?

Spring sun and boats growing from the ice... Sure signs that the winter is over...

Attachments

• image-2112670593.jpg
    image-2112670593.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 83
As I posted in another thread, winter (and late fall, early spring) boating is the best boating there is up here. All the wimps are huddled in their houses bemoaning the "harsh" winter weather. Be nice if they stayed there all year, frankly.:)

Taken this past Saturday, no other boats around or even in sight other than the tankers waiting in their anchorage five or six miles away. It was a very pleasant 47 degrees which is a bit warm for my taste but tolerable.

image-33276589.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take 47 degrees. Or anything above 32 F.

As I posted in another thread, winter (and late fall, early spring) boating is the best boating there is up here. All the wimps are huddled in their houses bemoaning the "harsh" winter weather. Be nice if they stayed there all year, frankly.:)

What? Didn't you previously say that weather in the PNW is unfavorable to boating all year round?

What? Didn't you previously say that weather in the PNW is unfavorable to boating all year round?

Only to people who don't like constant rain, fog, wind, damp, overcast, vicious boat-smashing, boater-eating whales, fifteen-knot rapids with huge, boat-sucking whirlpools, endless fields of escaped logs that are all itching to punch a hole in the hulls of the unwary, winter storm fronts of 40 knot sustained and 80 knot gusts in the marinas, and a constant gentle drift of volcanic ash.

But if you like all that stuff--- as we do--- then it's a fabulous place to boat.

Doesn't look so bad to me. And this is Alaska.

232323232%7Ffp635%3B6%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D383299%3A7%3C4336nu0mrj

Oh, SE Alaska is nothing compared to the northern Puget Sound and BC. And notice that the sky in your shot is nice and depressingly overcast, just the way we like it.

Our snow is melting fast this week, temperature is finally on the plus side. Put this together with the two very large flocks of geese I saw yesterday heading north, the 12 robbins my mother spotted on her front lawn, all the deer in the fields this morning and I would say it's finally spring and about time. Hope to splash by the end of April but the lake still has a foot or more of ice.

Got down to 36 last night here in central Florida. The norm is about 55-60 this time of year.

We took the ferry from Port-aux-Basques to North Sydney on our way back from Newfoundland. Maybe some day I'll be able to take that trip in my own boat.

I was thinking before I bought my boat that I was going to have to do that too but was able to get the Ocean Breeze in Newfoundland. Only once with all the crossing I did on the different ferry's that it was too rough to do it in my boat. :speed boat:

Anyway here is what it looks like on a normal day.

Attachments

• Port-aux-Basques2.jpg
    Port-aux-Basques2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 174
Great Time in the PNW

Saturday here on the Great Columbia River in the PNW! And we are past 12 hours a day of sunshine!:thumb:

Saturday, March 30
wx_85.png

Sunny72°
47°
icon_sunrise.gif
Rise: 6:55 AMSet: 7:38 PM
icon_sunset.gif
Rise: 11:59 PMSet: 8:42 AMSunshine. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s.

Sunday:

Sunday, March 31
wx_65.png

Mostly Sunny72°
47°
icon_sunrise.gif
Rise: 6:53 AMSet: 7:39 PM
icon_sunset.gif
Rise: 12:05 AMSet: 9:32 AMA few clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s.

Back
Top Bottom