Propeller Antifouling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jib73

Hi All - Has anyone heard of this stuff called "Prop Glop"?* I want to protect my boat's running gear, but I just can't justify the expense of hauling her AND the antifouling paint. This moby-cool.com website sells PROP GLOP and says it can be applied underwater. I already bought some, but I was hoping someone had some experience with it.* Anybody?* Thanks!

-Captain Scott

Never heard of it. They don't tell you anything about it, how it works, what it's made of, etc. There is one obscure reference that calls it a "wax". I doubt it would do much good for very long. Anything that can be applied underwater is going to come off pretty fast once you use the boat.

Desitin baby ointment was a sort of popular treatment. It actually worked, as long as you never moved your boat.

-- Edited by Keith on Monday 1st of June 2009 08:31:50 PM

Wax is generally one of the best treatments....although not the end all. Wax prevents things to adhere to things....we have all seen that. If I were trying to keep things from adhering to my running gear, I would probably try wax(surfboard wax in particular). But I use my boat enough to where it isn't a problem. I dive on it every time I am in the water and she is clean as a whistle as of this past Saturday.........

Have you ever actually waxed your prop, or heard of anybody doing so as an effective anti-fouling treatment? That would be a new one to me. Seems if something that simple and cheap worked, we sure wouldn't need all those expensive and exotic antifouling paints!

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the replies. Keith, I definitely understand the point you make, and ideally, we all should treat our hulls and running gear to anti-fouling paints when at all possible.* In my particular case though, I think this product will work. It can be applied under the water, and I dont mind getting wet to save a few hundred bucks. For $29 why not give it a try?

Keith, I can honestly say, NO, I have not tried it. It is just a fantasy I guess....and I am not being facetious. I use my boat a lot and have no problem with growth on my running gear. However, I do know how to get a good "bead" with surf wax on my surfboard and think it would work......although I think it's effectiveness would diminish with boat use as friction would cause it to deteriorate. So you are stuck with using your boat and no growth.....versus.....waxing your gear and not using your boat with no growth!!!!.....assuming that wax works!!!! I am thinking that it does seeing as how NOTHING will stick to a surface with a layer of wax on it!!!!

And Jib, it is not just $29......it cost a lot more to haul your boat!!!!

Captain Baker,* if you go to this product's website (moby-cool.com), you'll see that this is designed to be applied to the running gear while the boat is still in the water. And just to clarify, I'm using this to supplement my current anti-fouling paint, certainly not as a substitute.

-- Edited by Jib73 on Monday 1st of June 2009 10:46:10 PM

About 5 yrs ago I bought a 73 Buick 455 and the guy I bought it from put Armorall all over the car** ..* paint,chrome, vinyl top ect ect. Didn't even need wipers on the freeway* ..* the water beads up into small bubbles and follows the airflow. Everything was slick** ..** and still is. So I put Armorall on the prop. It's been a year in the water and yesterday I took it off while out on the grid. The prop is dark brown w a few hard and very small (about a 1/32 of an inch high) specs of what I belive to be the result of some kind of electrolisis formed. Thats it. Keep in mind that I'm in very northern waters but for me it does seem to work. The prop is Bronze w nothing on it except the Armorall. I do clean w MEK or acetone prior to the Armorall.I figured if it can stay on the car at 70 mph in driving rain it may stay on my prop.

Eric Henning

Is that Prop-Glop white? I'm wondering if they put titanium dioxide in there. Also, what kind of consistency is it? Hard like chapstick, or soft like vaseline?

Hi All, I don't want to beat a topic to death, but based on your great responses I called the Moby-Cool company yesterday about the Prop Glop. They were very friendly and ready to answer my questions. I asked them what it was and how it worked. Apparently, it uses environmentally safe ingredients to create a semi-soft "emulsion" that is applied while your boat is underwater with an applicator. After I asked about traditional prop protection (paint), he said Prop Glop is "designed to augment and extend the life of your regular anti-fouling coverage".
He also mentioned that they have a "Buy 2 get 1 FREE" deal going on this week. I should be getting mine in the mail today, so I will give it a try and send in the reports.

Cheers,
Captain Scott

Well that tells us nothing at all, except that an emulsion is a water-based product that will most likely dissolve in more water. I'm even more skeptical now, since they won't reveal any information.

I guess I should have said "you", since it's becoming obvious that you're a spammer, since all of your posts are about two of your companies products.

-- Edited by Keith on Wednesday 3rd of June 2009 07:22:14 AM

Captain Keith, I value your opinion, it is a valid and honest argument that reflects many years of experience that we should all appreciate.* But maybe there is someone else out there, like me, who cannot afford to pull his/her boat out this year and would still prefer that the running gear be free from marine growth.* I'm not "spamming" anyone here, I just think this product is a great idea and wanted to know if other boaters thought so too.

-Captain Scott

Mate nothing beats Prop Speed for an antifouling protective coating for props and running gear.This stuff sticks like S... to a blanket and is not water soluable.
It has been around for a fair few years now and is a proven performer.
I just hauled my boat recently and the Prop Speed was in VG condition and only 1 small shell and this after 14 months in the water.
Boat did not get a lot of use the last 12 months due to a few injuries but will hopefully make up for it over the next 6 months as we go into winter down here in the southern hemisphere.

Benn

Back
Top Bottom