View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #233
Craig Schreck
Veteran Member

City: newport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Honestly, my recommendations aren't worth a heck of a lot, I just pulled out some ebooks at lunch today and copied and pasted a handful of items to add to the discussion.

That said it would seem that adding zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) MAY make sense if you have regions of boundary lubrication such as a tappet valve train, AND it is a gas engine. But it already has it in there, why do you need to add more? Just change the oil regularly.

I have seen zinc precipitate out of lube oil on a dryer section of a paper machine because the oil vendor suggested that a flush was unnecessary as the new brand Y oil was supposedly compatible with the old brand X oil. It was 3/16" thick and on all vertical as well as horizontal surfaces. I wish I had the pictures with me. Too much zinc will form sludge.

Lubrication regimes in industry are specific to the equipment and the conditions. Pour in additives are rarely used as you don't really know what the end electro-chemical effect is. Oil analysis typically is found to be cost effective for equipment with large sumps, or known problems that you are monitoring. Synthetics are limited to high heat, or specialized equipment. Otherwise, we use good quality oil with the proper pre-blended additives for the job, and change it periodically.

Industry runs 24 hrs a day. 4,000 hours, which sounds like a lot, isn't even 6 months run time.

I will use synthetic lube in my marine gear when it has sufficiently set a tooth pattern.

Many small volvo gears use a sliding cone and shoe set up not multi wet disc, Check for fluid compatibility.
Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote